Chapter 77: You're a good person

Lifting my cup to my lips, I took a sip, making eye contact over the rim. I let out a huff, the steam billowing forward from my breath.

I then pursed my lips, before setting my cup back down.

She didn't say a word, watching me fiddle and look around, trying to find a way to avoid the question.

Finally realizing she wasn't planning to drop it, I met her eyes.

"My father was with them."

She cocked her head to the side.

I didn't talk about my family or home life with her too often, only making comments in passing. But Mei was smart. She took the snippets of information that I occasionally let slip and made her guesses and inferences. She probably had a vague idea of what was going on.

She blinked slowly, her gaze sharply attentive as she watched me.

If she had a clue about social interactions, she would be dangerous. With "Zoom," nothing would escape her notice, and she would probably be able to manipulate people with ease. Maybe at some point I should talk to her about that...

"He has a quirk that's somewhat like Mr. Aizawa's. I don't know what it's name is, but it allows him to cancel out quirks within a certain radius. He can turn it off and on, but I think for him it's more like holding your breath. He can't keep it off for very long. I had been away from it for a while... so I wasn't as used to it as before. It—"

I stopped.

How could I phrase it?

"For me... his quirk is like a cage. When I'm away from him, my senses are automatically stretched out to feel the emotions of the people around me, so being near him is slightly jarring. My emotions are trapped in my mind, and I can't sense everyone else's emotions. Once you get a taste of freedom... capture is so much more suffocating. So when he was around for too long... I went a little crazy. My emotions being cooped up in my mind makes it harder for me to escape them. To escape the bad ones. So my actions were... less than nice, and it was even worse because there were villains right there to watch me break down and lash out at him. I must've seemed evil."

She had listened silently, but now she spoke. "We both know you aren't evil, (Y/N)."

"...I don't. I'm not sure, really. I mean... the villains were so sure I'd end up joining them that they didn't even ask me!"

"Don't worry, (Y/N)! I know you. You're a good person."

I looked up at her sadly. "I..." I trailed off.

She didn't push any further, and we drank in silence.

Then the bell jingled as a new customer entered the shop.

I glanced back to see who had entered, and whipped my head forward so fast I could've gotten whiplash.

Mei looked up at me with wide eyes. "What is it, (Y/N)?"

She leaned to the side to see around me.

I hushed her, bending down over my cup and resting a hand at the side of my head —in an attempt to block my face from them— as they approached the counter.

"(Y/N), what—"

"Shhh!" I hissed quietly.

I could see her confusion, but she gave me a brisk nod.

She followed them out of the corner of her eye, eyebrows drawn together as she studied them.

I was grateful that she hadn't asked any questions, but I knew she had a thousand swirling around inside her head, wanting to burst from her lips.

I could tell she wanted to interrogate me, to pester me until I explained, but she simply examined them as Mr. Shimizu took their order.

I knew that the second that the right moment arose, she would pounce at the chance to squeeze every last drop of information from me.

Oh well.

"Hello again, Elena. It's nice to see you and your friend here again."

I could feel my knuckles turning white as the blood leached out of them, my anxious death grip threatening to damage the table.

I did my best to block out their emotions. I didn't want to touch them.

"It's nice to be here again." Her crisp Japanese had a slight accent on it that had my nerves at high-tension.

I slowly let out a breath, trying to calm myself.

I could feel Mei's curiosity rise, and knew that she was nearing her breaking point.

I looked at her with pleading eyes, shaking my head.

Please don't. I'm begging you.

She gnawed on her lip, and stayed silent.

"Now, what would you young ladies like to order?"

"Give me—"

I immediately stopped listening.

I had forgotten how impolite she was.

"—and be quick."

I could sense a spike of irritation from the kind cashier, but he didn't say a word. "Of course."

Mei busied herself with her drink as I peeked at the pair of girls through my fingers.

Elena was chatting with her friend as they waited, her foot tapping impatiently.

It hasn't even been a minute...

Words couldn't describe my dislike for this girl.

The combination of her lack of courtesy and humility, and the way she looked was bothersome enough. She was smart and had a powerful quirk too.

That wasn't my problem, though.

It was the way lies spilled from her lips like nothing and how she only put on her mask when she had someone around who she wanted to impress.

She had exceptional ability, but no ambition, and yet was still a perfectionist.

But that wasn't the worst of it.

She was cruel and a bully, and had no censor with people she didn't care about or respect. She was the queen of off-handed insults, and the way her accent accentuated her words as she tilted her head to look at you down her nose only made her words harsher.

Yet, I couldn't fully hate her... because I could tell she was struggling.

IMPORTANT STUFF! PLEASE READ!

And here we have another chapter! I so sorry I didn't post this yesterday (like I had planned), but I got an awful headache.

A new character enters the scene! We'll find out more about her next chapter!

Also, it's been a while since I checked the reads on this story— and you couldn't imagine my surprise when I did!

188K reads! I couldn't believe it!

Thank you all so SO much! I don't know what you see in this story, honestly... 😅

Moving on. I'll be doing my disappearing trick for another week (T^T) and after that school starts for me. I'll try to keep up with weekly updates!

Anyways, hope you enjoyed! Till next time, bai Marshmalløws!

-Cøcøa-Malløw

P.S. quick question for you guys: a lot of you say you like my "writing style." What do you all mean by that?