Chapter 106: A sneaking suspicion

Once we had arrived back at our dorms, I headed straight for my room. I knew everyone was gathering downstairs, but I had to think.

I couldn't get my mind off of Ms. Chigusa. Something had gone wrong. It must have. And try as I might, nothing came to mind about what might have been happening.

Now more than ever, I was painfully aware of how little I knew about her. I hadn't even known she had any form of family until I had come face to face with her grandson.

Timid, timid Amajiki. Maybe he knows something?

I'd have to find out what he knew.

He definitely knew that she had been using her quirk illegally, but the big question was: why? Could she not attempt to get some sort of registration? Or perhaps there was some other reason.

The second I reached my room I made a beeline for my desk to retrieve my laptop (i can't remember if she has a laptop or not so she does now :D). I hurriedly tapped in my password and opened up the search browser.

I had a sneaking suspicion... a creeping feeling in my gut which made me feel equal parts guilty and uneasy.

My first search yielded nothing useful, but with a little filtering, the results page filled with news articles.

For a moment, I just stared at the headlines, my stomach flipping. Then I shut my laptop, without any of the delicacy the task required, and dropped my head onto its already warm surface.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and dug my fingers into the flesh of my thighs. A vague sting raced up my leg, my claws puncturing the skin. I could feel the wetness beneath my fingers.

Here I was, discovering something I now realized I didn't want to know, while the rest of the class was most likely cheerfully discussing work studies in the common area.

Get a hold of yourself. 

I took in a breath, straightening up and reopening my laptop to confront this newfound knowledge.

There were only a few pages of results after all the filtering, but it was link after link of blogs and papers connecting Ieki Chigusa to the Yakuza. There was even an official police report, listing charges and on what basis they had been pressed.

I swallowed sharply, allowing my scrolling to slow to a stop so I could read the lines that had caught my attention.

"Ieki Chigusa was found missing after cameras of her holding cell ran static. An analysis of the scene found the bars melted. Holes were found eating into the floor as well, suggesting some sort of acid. An odd discovery that was made is that it closely resembled the quirk of the officer who led her to her cell."

The report went on to describe how she had resisted desperately - to the point where blood was drawn. Apparently the officer had been moved to a different location shortly after, as video footage revealed that he had spat on her following the altercation.

All of it was peculiar to me. I thought Ms. Chigusa had a healing quirk of some sort? But apparently not. Could she mimic quirks then? If so, whose quirk did she mimic to create the healing serum for me?

I had more questions than answers now, it seemed.

Fucking frustrating.

I slumped back in my chair.

It was all so hard to wrap my head around. She was someone who had been there for me my entire life, and yet she was a convicted felon? Ms. Chigusa was far too warm and sweet to be that. I knew she genuinely was. I had felt it. If she had harboured any ill will I would have known.

Right?

I tilted my head back to stare at the ceiling. I needed to calm down.

I glanced out my window to find that it wasn't dark out yet.

Perfect. I could go for a bit of a walk to clear my mind and make a plan.

My mind made up, I hurried down the stairs, slowing only to give Chai a cursory pat. I didn't spare Mina a glance as she called to me to join her, muttering something about being busy before briskly exiting the building.

The moment the breeze hit my face, I exhaled, soft and slow. I could feel a little of the tension melt out of my shoulders.

Not enough of it, of course, but I'd take what I could get.

My head already feeling clearer just being outside, I picked up a leisurely pace and went over what I knew.

Ms. Chigusa had been using her quirk illegally

She was previously arrest for this use

She was suspected of being linked to the Yakuza (after being tailed for weeks by a pro hero)

She's gone missing, and no one knows where she went

So, in summary, I was as good as in the dark.

However, there were a few safe guesses I could make. For example, the stock of pre-made order suggested one of two things: either Ms. Chigusa had planned to leave, or suspected that she might end up leaving. In both, there was the assumption that she knew of something she had to do. Or escape from.

It was all so frustratingly murky, it made me want to scream.

But I wouldn't.

It would take a lot of self control, but I wouldn't.

So, now came the question: what next? How would I figure out what exactly cause Ms. Chigusa to up and vanish?

My best bet would probably be asking around. If I was extra careful, I could probably even get something out of Amajiki.

My steps were just a bit lighter as I headed back to the dorms, like some of the weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Having the semblance of a plan made the future seem more achievable - like I was heading in the right direction.

Ms. Chigusa had always been a solid presence in my life, one that was always there. And for some reason, the details unbeknownst to me, I just couldn't let her go without some sort of explanation or a goodbye.

"(Y/N)!"

The call of my name shook me, but before I could glance around I was pulled down the side of the dorm building.

"I think we need to talk. Now."

Lips parted in surprise, I stared up at Todoroki, his face not even a full inch away from mine.

My head went blank.

And here it is! The first chapter in forever.

Damn it was a pain. It's unedited and short and probs shit (aka fitting in w the theme of the entire book) but it's done and it's up!

The previous plans have definitely been changed bc um... ive forgotten them but we'll make it work 💪

When will the next post be? idk 😭

Regardless, feel free to share your thoughts!

Hope you enjoyed! Till next time, bai Marshmalløws!

-Cøcøa-Malløw