Chapter 73: Why bother...

It was dark. Pitch black.

Was this my room at the Todoroki household?

I assumed so.

I felt around, finding my phone under my pillow where I had left it.

Turning on my phone, the first thing I noticed was the date.

Two days had passed!

Then there was the flood of notifications.

The first one that caught my eye was the news.

I took a quick read through of the article, and checked the video clip attached.

My heart clenched as I watched All Might deflate.

That was it.

That was the end of All Might.

And it's all your fault too. Bakugo could've escaped on his own. But no. You were there to hold him back.

I tried to ignore the thought, exiting out of the article.

It's true.

You freaked out, unable to control yourself, and became more of a burden than usual.

It was your worst fail yet.

All Might is no longer here to save the day.

But Midoriya is... is he not?

I tried to convince myself. It's not over.

I was failing miserably, and I knew it.

I shut off my phone.

I knew I should probably get to sleep.

I positioned myself around Chai, who had situated herself on the dead centre of the futon.

Just sleep. Think about it tomorrow.

I closed my eyes, willing sleep to come.

It didn't.

~

I checked the time on my phone.

Three hours had passed.

I let a sigh hiss through my teeth.

Time to stop pretending you're getting any closer to falling asleep.

I sat up, careful not to disturb Chai as I did so.

I turned on my phone and rested my hands on my lap, but quickly turned off my phone.

The only thing people were talking about was All Might, and the fight.

Discarding my phone, I pulled my knees up to my chest, and rested my chin in the dip between them.

Why was I so restless?

Usually at times like this, a quick scroll through my socials would get me down the internet rabbithole, and I would manage to successfully avoid confronting my emotions.

Or I would distract myself with music— which wasn't an applicable option, considering that I had let Ashido borrow my earbuds a couple weeks back— she hadn't given them back yet.

A walk felt like too much work. Just the thought of standing up was tiring.

Why bother...

I let out a sigh, letting my head drop to the side, so that my cheek pressed into my kneecap.

I had slept for two days. Why did I feel so drained?

Now, it wasn't like it was an uncommon feeling for me, but... as a general rule, I could push past it. I could push past it, and get my workouts done, my training done, my homework done, my studying done.