Chapter 103: ...are you serious?

First Person

"Now that Midoriya is back, we'll go into more detail about the work studies. Please come in." Mr. Aizawa turned his head to the door, and everyone followed suit to see what he was looking at.

The door opened, and he continued speaking. "We'll have people who experienced it first hand tell you about how these are different from the internships. Listen carefully."

Three third years filed through the doorway. One was relatively tall, with yellow hair, bright blue eyes, and a determined smile on his face. The girl following him had long, light blue hair and a cheerful, complacent smile on her face. Behind her, a familiar hunched-over boy with elf-ish ears and indigo hair entered, his hands tucked into his pockets.

"The three third years at UA who stand at the top of all current UA students; also known as the Big Three."

I stared, wide-eyed, at Amajiki.

Words of awe were exchanged between the students, but my shock had set into my bones... he was a UA student? He was... one of the Big Three?

"Okay, can you please introduce yourselves, briefly? Let's start with Amajiki."

Mr. Aizawa saying his name only further confirmed it, and I wasn't sure what to do, or how to feel.

And I had thought that he wouldn't have any mental fortitude, yet here he is... standing in front of us as one of the Big Three!

He stared at us with that same intensity as yesterday, surprising my classmates as much it had me that first time.

"It's no good," He murmured, beginning to shake. "Mirio, Hado... even if I look out on them imagining that they're potatoes, everything other than their heads remain human. I still can't see them as anything but human. What should I do? I can't... say anything... My mind's... blank... I can't..."

He turned, pressing his forehead against the wall. "I want to go home."

So... he was trying to imagine me as a potato yesterday evening?

"Um, you are the top of UA's hero course, right?" Ojiro asked cautiously.

That's uh... a little rude.

"Oh, listen, Amajiki! That's called having the heart of a flea!" The girl beside him exclaimed, "Even though you're human! It's so strange!"

She turned to address us. "This is the flea, Tamaki Amajiki. And then, I'm Nejire Hado." She gestured to herself. "We were asked to talk to you guys about work studies. But wait..."

She leaned forward, to Shoji. "Hey, hey, why are you wearing a mask? Are you sick? Trying to look cool?"

"This is because in the past..." He started, but she was already looking behind him.

Wait! I want to know...

"Oh, my! You must be Todoroki, right? Right? How did you get burned right there?"

"That's..." He began.

"Ashido, if your horns break off, will new ones grow in? Can you move them? Well?"

She's so cheerful, so curious... and talking way too fast! What's the point of asking questions if you don't wait for their answers?

"Mineta, are those balls of yours hair? How do you get a haircut? Asui, you're a tree frog, not a toad, right? There's so much I want to know about all of you! It's so strange!"

This is making me uncomfortable...

I smiled tightly.

The questions kept coming, and I couldn't help but feel slightly irked by all the questions. But, she was genuinely intrigued by everything, and the wholesome sense of wonder she had was oddly endearing— even with the annoyance her questions brought.