Chapter 87

Aurelia

When I landed at home I spotted Draco sitting on the steps of the manor with Elsie's head asleep on his lap. He looked drained and seconds away from falling asleep as well, but he kept shaking his head to stay awake.

I lowered the protective ward around the property briefly so I could get in and headed towards the house. I sat on the steps next to him then reached over and gently picked Eli up and so I could hold her in my arms.

There was no way I could lose my little girl, I would die to protect her.

Draco was silent as he watched me hold Elsie.

"Theo's dead." I whispered, not wanting to wake my sleeping daughter. "My father murdered him."

Draco's eyes widened. "I'm so sorry, Lia."

"How am I going to tell her?" I looked down at Elsie, she looked at peace despite the rough night she had. The sight of her made it impossible to hold my tears in anymore, I sobbed silently. Draco wrapped his arm around me and I buried my face in his shoulder to muffle the sound of me crying.

"Let me take you away, Lia." Draco murmured into my ear. "Let me keep you safe."

"I can't, Draco." I sighed and wiped my tears. I stood up and shifted Elsie's weight onto my shoulder. I headed to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Draco asked, his face was scrunched with confusion.

"I'm putting Eli to bed and getting Minny to watch her while I go win this war with my father." I said, heading into the house. "Minny!"

"What? Lia, you can't go back." Draco followed me into the house.

"Minny!" I called again, ignoring him.

"Yes Mistress?" Minny appeared, her face creased with worry. "Minny wasn't expecting yous home so soon. Is war over?"

"No Minny." I passed Eli to her. "I need you to watch Elsie for just a bit, I'll be home as soon as I can. If there is any sign of danger you apparate away with her, get as far away as possible and don't come back till I call you."

Minny nodded and apparated upstairs with Elsie. I wasn't comfortable leaving Eli without a witch or wizard protecting her but at this stage it was my only option.

"Come on, Lia. Don't go back to him. What if Elsie becomes an orphan?" Draco pushed, his voice was both cold and angry at the same time.

"I can't abandon my father. And I know you and Riah don't understand but I refuse to leave his side. He needs me."

"He's derang-"

I cut him off before he could say anymore. "He may be a lot of things but he's still my father. He's doing all of this for me the same way I'd do anything for Eli. Look at your life, Draco, you had everything you ever wanted. Every opportunity went YOUR way, everybody knew YOUR name. I grew up as a nobody, I had nothing and I won't have the same for my daughter. Elsie deserves better."

Draco's mouth opened but I didn't care what he had to say.

"I'm going back. I'm sorry but I won't change my mind." I reached for the door handle and felt a searing pain run through my hand.

"I'm sorry, Lia. I can't let you leave." Draco looked guilty for a moment. He quickly snatched my wand from my hand and snapped it in half. Just as soon as the sound of the wood cracking rang out, he apparated away. 

Auriah

After Lia left me, I headed back to the school. As I walked I wondered what Snape could possibly have to show Harry.