Chapter 18

Aurelia 

I was woken up the next morning by gentle knocks on the door. When I opened it I found Draco standing outside with a tray filled with food.

"The house elves here are ugly." I said teasing him, he laughed and walked into the room.

"Breakfast for Lady Izar." He said with his best house elf voice.

"Thank you." I laughed, sitting up in the bed.

"The dining room is filled with hungover, passed out DeathEater s so I figured we could eat up here in peace." He explained, plopping on the bed and taking a piece of toast.

The two of us sat eating and joking together. He told me all the gossip I had missed during the last few days of school. After we finished eating he gave me a tour of his gigantic manor.

Theo visited the next day, he bursted into my room and looked around as if he was expecting to find someone else in it with me. I had been sitting alone on my bed writing Daphne a letter.

He was in a much better mood than the other night. He was almost like the boy I grew up with.

The two of us spent the morning roaming the Malfoy garden, chasing the peacocks and enjoying the summer weather.

But when we went back to my room he started to get too touchy again. Just like the other night I made an excuse for not wanting to take that step in our relationship.

"Don't be such a prude." Theo sulked as I pulled my discarded jumper back over my head.

"I'm not a prude."

"Whatever." He sighed, rolling his eyes in annoyance. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and took one out.

"Theo, you know I hate it when you smoke around me." I reminded him.

Despite nearly half the UK's infatuation with cigarettes, I never understood the appeal. They were sticks of poison that shortened life spans, and I was trying to live as long as possible.

Both Yaxley and Aunt Helena smoked nearly a pack a day. Living with them and inhaling their second hand smoke probably took about ten years off my life already.

Unfortunately, Theo and his mates were already hooked on cigarettes but they kept their nasty habit confined in their dorm. Pansy and Daphne would occasionally join them but for Pansy it was a means to flirt with the boys, Daphne usually only went when she was stressed.

"Merlin, Lia. You are being a real fucking bore today." Theo lit the cigarette then stood up. He blew a puff of smoke towards me and stormed towards the door.

"Don't leave again." I sighed, I didn't understand why he was being so touchy.

"I'll come back later, I just need to cool off."

His angry exit put me in a foul mood. I waited for hours for him to come back but there was no sign of him.

My mood worsened as the day went on. I felt my birthmark tingle and went to join my father and his Death Eaters. Yaxley stopped me at the door and told me I wasn't welcomed at the meeting, spouting bull about adult discussions and such.

I wanted to help my father so badly but he and Yaxley didn't give me a chance. Yaxley would come draw blood for my father occasionally but that was the extent of my usefulness, I didn't even know what the blood was for.

I stormed to Draco's top floor suite needing to vent. He opened the door and looked surprised when he saw me. I invited myself in and plopped myself down on the black leather couch in his private sitting room. The glass coffee table in front of me was covered in piles of books. I didn't know Draco liked reading.