Chapter 74

Aurelia

To be honest, I was starting to hate my position in the ministry. It was boring and repetitive, all I did all day was question mudbloods.

I did enjoy it at the start. Revealing in the rush of power that stemmed from the quaking fear the wizards and witches in question had towards me. 

But now it was getting old.

Over half the people the snatcher were bringing in weren't even muggle born at all. Most of them had gone into hiding and the snatchers were just getting lazy.

"Just one more and then we can go home, darling." Theo said as he massaged my shoulders from his spot behind me.

"Thank Salazar." I sighed.

Theo signaled the guards to bring the next person in.

"Elsie Valentine Schroder?" I read off the file in front of me.

"Y-yes?" A small voice stuttered back. I looked up to find a small girl sitting in the large chair.

She couldn't have been older than 6 or 7, her little legs barely touched the ground. Her large hazel eyes were brimmed with fear. She was incredibly small and skinny, it looked like she hadn't eaten for days. Her dark brown curls were a mess, they reminded me of me and Riah's wild hair when we were little . I couldn't believe a child had been brought into my court.

I turned to Theo for an explanation.

"The snatchers caught her using accidental magic to steal sweets at a muggle candy shop. She appeared to be an orphan and upon further investigation they believe she is muggle born."

I had no idea what to do. There was no way I was sending a child to Azkaban, the dementors would ruin her before her life even began.

But if I released her, not only would I look weak but the girl would be alone on the streets.

Theo and the guards watched me expectantly, the second I sentenced this girl everyone was free to go home.

I took a deep breath and looked back at the girl.

"Elsie, where do you live?" I asked, softening my tone.

"A-a-at an o-o-orpha-anage." She replied. "E-e-echov-v-iew Orphanage in L-l-london."

My heart sank, Echoview Orphanage was the orphanage that had been built to replace Wool's Orphanage, the place my father had been dumped as a child. My father had destroyed it when he had come into power the first time.

"P-please don't hurt me." The girl started to cry. "I didn't mean to s-s-steal the sweets. I was s-s-s-o hungry and they j-j-just flew into m-m-my bag."

"Elsie, do things like that happen often?"

"Y-yes. The orphanage workers b-b-beat me but I can't help when it happens."

"She's clearly a muggle born, she has no idea about magic." Theo sighed, starting to get impatience. "Sentence her and we can go."

"We're taking her home." I decided as I said the words.

"What?" Theo's face scrunched up.

"You heard me." I turned to the guards. "You are free to go leave, the girl with me."

"Lia, are you bloody mad. We can't just take a muggleborn child home, it's not like it's a stray puppy."

"We can, and we will take her home." I glared at him. "Besides, we can't know for sure if she's muggle born or not. Witches and Wizards have been known to ditch their children just as much as muggles do."

"So what? You want to raise her?" Theo was aghast.

"I don't know but right now I just want to go home and give this little girl a proper meal and a good night's rest."

I climbed down from my seat and headed towards Elsie, tears were still running down her face. With a wave of my wand I accio'd a tissue and handed it to her.

"Elsie, my name is Lia." I crouched down to her level. "I'm a witch, and it seems like you are one too."

"A witch?" The girl repeated, her tears stopped.

"Yes, you were born with magic."

"I don't want to be a witch, I just want to be normal." Elsie's lips trembled, she was about to cry again.

"Trust me, sweetie. Being a witch is amazing, it's better than being normal. You just have to learn how to control your magic and I'm going to show you." I offered a smile, she hesitated for a moment before smiling back. "Now, why don't you come home with me and we can get some food in your belly."

"Okay." Elsie didn't hesitate to hop off of the chair, she was clearly starving.

Her little hand slid into mine and she looked up at me with bright glimmering eyes.