Chapter 40

Aurelia

The next morning I walked to Professor Slughorn's potions class with Draco at my side. Potions was both of our favorite subjects but Draco was much better at it than I was.

I wondered for a moment if he wanted to do something potions related after we were done school, then I remembered he wasn't even going to finish his education. But with my father in charge he could do any job he wanted.

"Lia?" Draco nudged me, pulling me out of a trance. Professor Slughorn was looking at me expectantly, the rest of the class stared at me.

"Sorry, what?" I snapped to attention.

"Miss.Izar, I was simply inquiring if you were related to Helena Izar? It's not a common last name in these parts." Slughorn repeated.

"Mhm, she's my aunt." I replied.

"You may also know my grandfather, Abraxas Malfoy?" Draco chimed in.

"Oh, yes." Slughorn said dismissively.

Draco's lips pressed in a firm line. Draco Malfoy was never dismissed, but with Lucius in Azkaban the Malfoy name was no longer what it once was and he knew that.

The professor turned back to me. "You must tell her I say hello. She was a little troublemaker but she was brilliant in potions, the best potion maker I've ever met."

"Yes, of course." I smiled sweetly.

Slughorn proceeded to start his lesson but was interrupted by the door slamming shut. Potter and Weasley stumbled in like buffoons.

"Ah! Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry." Slughorn said merrily. Of course Potter had the professor wrapped around his finger already. "And you brought a friend."

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at potions, a menace really." Weasley tried to turn to leave but Potter stopped him.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out." Slughorn replied. "Get your books out."

"We haven't actually gotten our books yet." Harry said sheepishly.

I rolled my eyes at Draco, these idiots never seemed prepared for anything.

"Weasley probably can't even afford to buy the book." Draco whispered to me. I grinned in response.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard." Slughorn instructed. "Now as I was saying, I've prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what they might be?"

As expected Hermione's hand shot in the air.

"Yes, Miss..."

"Granger, sir." Hermione answered. She walked up to the table that had all the positions.

She looked at the vial of clear liquid first.

"That one there is Veritaserum." She shot me a nasty glare as she said the name. I responded with a proud smirk and traded a low fist bump with Draco.

She went down the line, naming the rest. I tuned out, bored with her yammering.

"That's Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." She said, drawing my attention back. I suddenly got nauseous as I thought about my mother again.

"Correct Miss. Granger. Now, Amortentia does not create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room."