Chapter 84

Auriah

After apparating from Hogwarts I landed on a plush patch of grass a couple meters away from my childhood home. It had been over a year since I had been back.

The familiar blue slate roof, ash grey front door and black metal fence stirred a sickening feeling inside of me. No matter the outcome of this war I would forever be at odds with my family, if I even had a family left after tonight.

If my father was taken down tonight both my sister and my aunt would either be killed or imprisoned for their part in my father's army. I wondered what would happen to little Elsie, since both her parents would face the same fate.

But on the other hand if my father succeeded and Harry died... I had no idea what would happen to me. I truly believed my father would kill me the first chance he had. Even if he didn't I don't know how I would live without Harry. I wouldn't want to live.

I had to ensure that Harry was the one who survived tonight, I had to focus on finding the Horcrux.

I headed towards the house but as I approached the fence I was flung back into the bushes.

There were protective wards around the house, which was bad but also good. The wards meant there was something of value in the house.

I hit the barrier with a Confringo but the spell rebounded and nearly too my head off. I figured it was some kind of bubble shield. I thought back to a lesson Yaxley had given me on wards when I was younger.

He had said that most protective wards involved blood magic in order to make them strong against intruders. It was rare that the intruders and the caster shared the same blood since family loyalty was a strong part of ancient magic.

I prayed to Merlin that my sister, my aunt or my father had been the one to cast the spell around the house. After picking up a sharp stone from the ground I cut a small slit in the palm of my hand. A tiny bit of blood pooled and I dipped the tip of my wand in it.

With the bloody wand I touched the ward and it fizzled for a moment allowing me to slip through.

When I got to the front door it wasn't even locked. The lights inside the house were on, as if someone was there, but it was dead quiet. I placed a silencing spell on my shoes and walked through the house.

My first stop was Aunt Helena's room. It was wishful thinking but it would have been ideal if the diadem was where I had last seen it.

Her room was bare, everything had been taken out and moved to Nott manor. I skimmed the room with an anti glamour charm to see if it was hidden but I came out empty handed.

After leaving her bed room I went through every closet and room on the main floor, except the room Lia and I had shared. I couldn't handle the sentimentality, I had to push my sister out of my mind.

The house wasn't large so it didn't take long to search the main floor. I headed down to the basement where Yaxley's room and my class room growing up was.

I decided to go to Yaxley's room last since the thought of being in there made me sick. Yaxley was repulsive and the room probably smelt like his musty body odor. I also wouldn't have been surprised if something was decaying in there.

I made my way to our lesson room but when I pulled on the door knob, my hand was hit with a high voltage shock. My excitement grew, the extra protection on the room had to mean the horcrux was in there.

Since I hadn't had the chance to heal my hand I was able to draw blood again and dip my wand.

"Alohomora." I whispered, unlocking and opening the door with my wand simultaneously.