Chapter 35: My Girlfriend

When I got home after dropping Stephanie,my mom was home. But she was in her room so I greeted her and went to freshen up and rest for a few minutes. Soon it was time to go over to Jayson's house and I changed out of the tank top and shorts I was wearing to sweatpants and a shirt. I went to my mom's room to inform her incase she's looking for me.

"Hey Mom,I'm going to the Bradshaw's."

"To do what? Have you forgotten you're still grounded?"

"But Mom,it's for my schoolwork. Remember?"

"Alright fine. But be home before it gets dark."

"No problem."

I took my biology textbook and the report book along with the jotter I've been using and left the house.

I rang their doorbell and Jayson's mom opened the front door.

"Hello Kayra right?"

"Yes please."

"Good to see you again. Come in, come in. Jayson is upstairs."

"Thank you", I went in and she offered me some water which I accepted.

Jayson came downstairs a few moments later. He saw me and it felt as if he was uneasy,if it was because I was talking with his mom or not,I don't know.

"Okay mom,we have to go and work on our project now so I'm taking Kayra away."

"You know what son? I like her. Is she your...."she stopped mid-sentence and gave Jayson a knowing look.

"Yes mother,she's my girlfriend",he finished it for her.

I froze for a moment.

He just called me his girlfriend.

"Good son. Great choice. She's way better than Au-", Jayson stopped her so she didn't complete the name.

"Okay, we'll go upstairs now." Then he held my wrist and pulled me behind him.

I just followed him but in my mind,I was screaming. After yesterday, I was wondering what we were, because he didn't ask me to be his girlfriend. He just told me his feelings. Well,I guess that was how he rolled.

But wait,his mom was about to mention a name. I hope it's not what I heard. But if it was even her,why would Jayson's mom mention her name.  How would she even be related to them? No,I don't think it's the Audrey I know. It could have even been another name, maybe Aubrey or Aurelia or something else.

Kay,stop bothering your head with unnecessary thoughts. Right now,you should be trying to recall parts of a frog.

The voice in my head was right. I should stop overthinking and focus on the reason I came here. The presentation was in three days so we had to start wrapping things up and perfecting our work. We had four reports to print as well.

We worked together and fast and we were done in about an hour and thirty minutes. It was getting dark so I had to go home and help my mom set the table.

I said goodbye to Mrs Bradshaw and Jayson walked me to my porch. He pecked me on my cheek before turning and going back to his house.

******

The next day,my parents had both left for work early so I did what I had to do and locked the house before leaving to pick Stephanie up. The ride was somewhat quiet except for the small talk between Stephanie and I when we stopped at the traffic light and the music from the stereo. We got to school in about fifteen minutes and I parked and we got out of the car. As we walking towards the entrance,I saw Jayson,he was walking in our direction. Stephanie saw him so she went in and left me to talk to him.