Chapter 3: Headaches are Bad Luck

For some reason,I woke up with a throbbing headache. I'm sure staying up late is starting to take a toll on me.

I don't think I'll be able to go to school today. No, lemme rephrase that; I don't want to go to school today. After all it's a Friday,there's no harm in starting my weekend early. It won't make a difference, right?

I went downstairs to inform my dad about my illness.

He was having breakfast, preparing to leave for work,I suppose.

My mom had left for the hospital already. She was on morning shift today.

"Good morning Dad",I greeted

"Morning sweetie. Why aren't you dressed yet?"

"Dad,I woke up with a very bad headache. I don't think I'll be able to make it to school today."

He raised an eyebrow. Oh God,I hope he doesn't think I'm just making up an excuse not to go to school.

Come to think of it,the excuse presented itself to me.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes ,I'm really not feeling well dad."

"So in other words,you want to skip school."

I crossed my fingers.

"I don't see any problem.

Yes!

"It's a Friday after all. I'll let your mom know",he continued

Oh no. The last thing I want is my mom stressing over a minor headache.

"No! Don't tell her"

"Kayra,she's your mother. She has to at least know why you are not going to school."

"Okay fine. You can tell her."

"I will."

He had put his empty cereal bowl in the dishwasher and grabbed his car keys.

"I'm leaving now. Get some rest."

"Okay. Have a nice day at work."

"Thanks dear. And get well soon"

I went back to my room to continue my sleep. My phone was ringing when I entered the room. It was Stephanie.

"Hey Steph."

"Kayra,where are you? I had to make up an excuse to come to the bathroom in the middle of homeroom to call you. You know you're extremely late right?"

"Steph,I'm not coming to school today".

"Why not?"

"I woke up sick."

"Oh really. Because knowing you, you're capable of making up anything to skip school."

"Oh come on Steph. I'm really sick. I have a splitting headache."

"So you won't come to school?"

"Yes. So take all the assignments for me"

"But I'm not in all your classes today."

"Yes I know. Ask Olivia,I think she's in all my classes on Fridays."

"Oh okay. Then,get well soon Kay'

"Thanks. Tell Gale I said hi.'

She giggled,"I'll tell him."

"Bye"

"Bye. She hang up and I hit my bed."

I think I slept for about four hours because when I woke up it was almost midday.

I decided to take my bath. After freshening up,I noticed my phone screen had lit up.

Four missed calls from my mom.

I called her back and she answered on the second ring.

"Hey Mom."

"Kayra, your dad told me you were sick and you skipped school."

"It's just a headache Mom. Don't worry about me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes mom"

"Okay then. Take care of yourself. I'm a little busy."

"Don't worry."

"Bye"

After the call. I went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee because there was still a minor pain in my head. I burnt my hand while heating the water.

Stupid heater!I huffed to myself because well,there was no one else in the room.

I put my hand under the tap to reduce the burning sensation and drank the coffee. I felt a lot better afterwards.

I washed the mug when I was done with the coffee and placed it back in the cupboard I took it from.

When I was sure I had cleaned up every mess I had made in the kitchen,I went to the living room,made myself comfortable on the couch and switched on the television. I must have dozed off because the next thing I heard was someone barging in.

It was Stephanie

"How are you doing now?"

"A lot better",I smiled. "Come,sit. Why are you standing there?"

She joined me on the couch.

"Where are my assignments?"

"You just have one, chemistry."

Uggh! But it's good since it was a weekend and just one homework.

"Oh okay."

"You wouldn't believe what happened in school today?"

"Justin Timberlake came to perform?"

"Whoa Kayra relax" She laughed and I joined in.

"Okay tell me"

"After lunch,there was a teachers' meeting so there was no teacher during life skills period."

"The period I have with you?" She nodded. "Oh shoot!"

"That's not all."

"Oh really"

"Yup. The boys started this beat boxing competition which turned into a rap competition. The whole class was on fire. You wouldn't believe it was actually our class."

"And I missed it! Why did that have to happen today?!"

"I guess that's your luck."

I sighed. "You can help yourself to anything in the fridge"

"Have you eaten?"

"No. I'm not hungry."

"Since morning? No,let me see what's in the fridge."

"There's cake!" She screamed from the kitchen,"Oh and leftover noodles. Let me microwave that for you"

She poked her head out the door and I gave her a thumbs up

Just then,my mom came home. I could tell she was exhausted so when she asked how I was doing,I told her I was fine and she should go and rest,there was no need to worry about me

After eating, Stephanie and I talked for a while about random stuff before she went home.

Since it was a weekend,I didn't feel obliged to do my homework today nor did I feel like studying,I still had Saturday and Sunday to do that so instead,I made myself comfortable on my bed with my pillows, laptop and headphones and watched a movie.

Yayyyy,the weekend is finally here.

****

Thanks for reading 😊

Don't forget to vote and share.

- Jess💖