Chapter 5: Hey Latecomer

The sun rays which had penetrated through my window into my room shone on my face, waking me up.

I yawned and stretched

What time is it?

I checked the alarm clock on my bedside drawer.

Crap!

I was almost an hour late for school. How is this even possible? I set my alarm yesterday didn't I?

No you didn't,after watching Princess Switch, you were too tired to check it so you slept thinking you'll wake up on time

That was my self-conscious reminding me of the stupid thing I did last night.

Kayra,get up! Hurry up, you're late enough already.

That was my self-conscious again after realizing I was still sitting on my bed.

I dashed into the washroom and freshened up as fast as I could. I threw my clothes on and didn't bother fixing my air so I just left it to air dry. I quickly put on my shoes -I didn't lace them,I'll do that in school- and grabbed my backpack.

But wait,why didn't my parents wake me up?

Now's not the time Kay, you're late

I didn't have time to eat a proper breakfast so I decided to take a fruit. In the kitchen,there was a note from my dad. He said he had an important meeting at the office so he left earlier than usual, that was why he didn't check on me.

Well,darn it.

As I was driving,I was thinking of a way to sneak into class until I finally got an idea.

Oh God,I hope this works

*******

Steph,please pick up,I prayed as I texted her.

Steph: Kayra, what the heck?! I'm in class,why are you calling me? And where the hell are you? Mr Khan started 20 minutes ago.

She texted back almost immediately.

Me: I know I know. I need you to help me. Please.

Steph: Oh Kayra. What now

Me: I'm in the hallway. I need to get to class without Mr Khan noticing me.

Steph: And how do you think you will be able to do that?

Me: You're seated in front right?

Steph: Yes.....

Me: And you've saved me a seat right?

Steph: Yes...what's your plan?

Me: Okay, tell Mr Khan you want to show him something on the skeleton then take him to the back of the class so I can sneak in.

Steph: You know this isn't going to work

Me: It will. Please help me Steph.

Steph: You owe me big time for this.

Me: Thanks Steph

I was peeping through the classroom door waiting for the right time to sneak in. Stephanie had taken Mr Khan to the back of the room like I said and it seemed he was engrossed in trying to understand her question. Most of the students had turned to the back as well but I signalled those who saw me to keep quiet.

Now!

Oh God help me

As I tiptoed to the seat I presumed Steph reserved for me,I crossed my fingers and tried to be as quiet as a mouse.

Almost there,just a little bit more.

Just then, someone cleared her throat.

Shoot!

I forgot one detail,Audrey was in this class!

Mr Khan turned. "Who was that?" He asked and saw me standing in the front of the class with my backpack like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Well well,who do we have here?" He asked no one in particular,his Indian accent clear.

"Were you trying to sneak into my class?' He appeared calm,but everyone who knew him would know that that was just the calm before the storm.

"Cat got your tongue?" I hadn't said a single word since he started 'interrogating' me.

"Since you cannot justify yourself, you will be working in the library after school today. Then you will not be late to my class again."

I looked at Steph who was still standing next to him and she shot me an apologetic look.

I don't even know why I did, but I glanced at Audrey and she was smirking triumphantly.

That witch!

"Now everyone get seated. Miss Cole,have you understood my explanation?"

"Err yes sir",she answered before sitting on the desk next to me.

She nudged me and mouthed a sorry.

"It's fine",I whispered back and smiled.

*****Lunchtime******

"So Kayra, why were you even late this morning?" Steph asked

"Well...",I took a bite of my apple,"I forgot to set my alarm last night"

"You're kidding"

"No,it's true."

"Kayra, so when will you grow up?"

"It's not my fault"

"And it will always not be"

"But thanks for helping me Steph, I owe you one."

"Oh you owe me more than just one."

"That's why you're the bestest bestie ever."

"Oh please."

I giggled.

I was throwing my leftovers in the bin when I saw Audrey and her clique approaching.

"Hey latecomer",she teased and passed. Their cackling made me just want to go and pull off her fake lashes.

"Ignore her. Come on,let's get to class."

Thank God for Stephanie.

********

"Okay I'll talk to you later Kay"

"I'll call you when I get home."

"Cool."

"Have fun at the library", Audrey teased from behind me and went away after giving Lesley a high five. I just rolled my eyes.

Why does her locker have to be so close to mine?

"Ok Kayra,good luck."

"Thanks baby."

*******

Thanks for reading😊

Stay safe 😷

- Jess💖