Chapter 23:When It Rains,It Pours

I greeted the librarian when I got to her desk. She didn't remember me,that's good I guess. I scanned the room and I saw him, Jayson sitting at one of the tables in the corner. He had earphones on,I didn't know if that was allowed in the library or not but he was lost in whatever he was listening to. I was actually surprised when I saw him there. I was half expecting him to be late or not show up at all.

"Hi", I said when I walked over to the table. He didn't hear me

Of course

"Hi",I said again but I tapped his shoulder this time. He took off his headphones and looked up. He gave a look I assumed said,what?!

"Um... I'm here,for our project work,one hour.... remember?"

He can't tell me he has forgotten he asked me to meet him here. If not because of that,why would he be here anyway?

"Oh yeah. Let's get on with it then. Just an hour."

I had already planned what I wanted us to cover because I didn't want the time to go waste. He had finally given me a chance and I had to make good use of it.

Jayson was much more brilliant than I thought. It seemed he already knew the whole topic by heart so there was no difficulty. On the contrary,he contributed much more than I expected and we were able to cover more than I had planned. In fact,he even knew things I didn't know. He knew all the facts about frogs and all the biological terms. If not for him being an asshole at the start,he would have been a really great partner to work with,I must admit.

Soon enough,my one hour was over and I now had to think of another way to meet up with him again to put finishing touches on our project and to start working on the presentation. I packed my books into my book and began searching for Gale's contact on my phone so I can call him to come pick me up. When I got out of the library, I noticed clouds had formed in the sky and it was threatening to rain.

Oh come on. Not today!

Gale wasn't picking up and I don't know why. He's leaving me stranded here? I called him for the sixth time and still no answer. I guess I would have to walk home or take a cab or something but whatever I had to do to get home,I needed to do it fast because the sky was darkening quickly.

I started taking swift steps down the curb hoping to get to the nearest bus stop before the rain starts but luck was not on my side because a few seconds later,the rain started pouring down. I could feel the cold water as it hit me and beat my skin. It was falling in torrents and I began to worry about the few books I had in my back. I was now running to the bus stop when I heard a motorcycle honk behind me.

I stopped and turned and it was Jayson and his motorbike.

"Want a ride?"

Gale's POV

Kayra was calling me but I couldn't pick up. This was really urgent. I tossed my phone on the seat next to me and continued driving. It seemed it was threatening to rain. I better hurry up and get this over with so I can head back home. I will apologise to Kayra later,I'm sure she'll just walk home or something,her house isn't that far from the school anyways. Or because of the rain,she might take a cab.

Someone was calling again,I reached out for my phone carefully,my eyes still mostly on the road and checked the caller ID.

Won't this girl just leave me alone?! I already told her I was coming.

I picked,"Where are you? Hurry up. I need the stuff urgently",she said.

"I'm coming,I'm coming. I have the things you asked for,I'm driving to your place right now,I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Good. I'm waiting then."

"Yes bye." I'm so tired of her,she's always asking for money or other things. Why did I even get myself into this mess in the first place?

I got to her house a few minutes later and parked on the driveway. Then I took the bag and got out of the car. It hadn't started raining yet. I didn't intend to stay long so I just rang the doorbell and waited for her to open it.

"Here you go",I gave her the bag and she said,"Thank you."

"How's she?" I asked.

"Emily? She's doing fine."

"Okay, that's good."

"Don't you want to come in for a warm drink or something?"

"No I'm good,I'll head home now. I'll come over some other time."

"Okay then. Bye and thanks again"

"Sure"

As I was going back home,the rain started falling. It was heavy and I wondered whether Kayra had reached home or not. I'll call her back later. Where I just went to and what I did was really important. I was trying to fix the mistakes I had made in the past little by little and very soon, Stephanie would have to know. It concerns her in every way,I just can't imagine how she would react when she finds out.

Kayra's POV

I stared at the guy in a black jacket with a helmet on who just offered me a ride;on his freaking motorcycle!!

"Um....no thanks,I'm good. I've almost reached the bus stop anyway."

"Really? Okay suit yourself."

Then he rode off.

Okay,so that just happened. He rode off without another word. Yes,I know I turned him down but seriously, just like that,he left!

I hugged my body tighter but that didn't do any good,I was freezing cold. I was just about to continue running when I heard a noise from the distance.

A motorcycle coming towards me.

I squinted my eyes to see if I knew the person and it was Jayson again.

He came back?

He made a u-turn when he got to where I was.

"Look,I don't care whether you want to get on this motorcycle or not but I would be a horrible person if I let you walk in this rain. So shut up and let me take you home." He removed his helmet and stretched it out to me

I didn't know whether I should decline again because obviously,he was the only option if I wanted to get home to my warm bed within the shortest possible time.

Without thinking twice,I said,"Fine" and took the helmet.

Oh God,I'm going to sit on a motorcycle. Not that I haven't gotten on one before, just that the rider wasn't Jayson freaking Bradshaw.

I adjusted the helmet on my head and sat on the bike.

"You good?" He asked and I sat properly so I wouldn't fall. Like I said,I've been on a motorcycle before so I know how to sit on it.

I nodded my approval and he gassed off.

Just then,one thought crossed my mind.

He's going to find out I live opposite to him.
Fuck!

******

Hey hey heyyyyyy,it's me again with another update. So how did you like this chapter? I obviously loved it🤩. Kayra Jayson are starting to "bond" now🤭🤭

And Gale is definitely hiding something. But what?🤷 Any guesses??

Please do vote, comment and share😊

And thanks for reading.

Love y'all xxx

-Jess💖

Dedicated to Billnita for all the votes and support ❤️❤️