Chapter 4: His Love for Pizza

I woke up to the sound of my mom shouting my name from downstairs. I checked the time on my bedside clock.

Why the hell would she wake me up at 9am on a Saturday morning?!

When I got downstairs,she was setting the table for breakfast. The aroma of the food hit me immediately and I almost drooled. I could smell eggs and sausages.

"Morning Mom"

"Morning Kay. How are you feeling today?"

"Much much much better than yesterday."

"Oh, that's nice. I'm on afternoon shift today so I made breakfast,English breakfast. Freshen up quickly so we can eat."

"Smells good Mom. I'll be down in five."

"Okay."

After brushing my teeth,I wiped my face with my towel and joined my family at the dining table.

The food was delicious. There was juice,toast,bacon, sausages,eggs,baked beans and everything a proper English breakfast could consist of.

The toast melted my tongue as I savoured the heavenly taste. I'm sure I mentioned this earlier,my mom is a very good cook. Honestly speaking,she should have been a chef instead of a nurse.

"Mom",I moaned,"this is really good. You should do this quite often."

"She's right Mabel. This is amazing",my dad said.

"Thank you",she smiled. "Maybe I'll cook more when I'm free."

"You should", I responded before I took a sip of my orange juice.

"So Kay,how are you coping with school?" My dad asked

Why is he asking that? I've never complained to anyone about school, have I? Or did my teacher call him? Wait a minute,are my grades going downhill?

Relax Kay. It's just a question. He just wants to find out how school is.

I hope so

"Um, school is fine dad. I'm coping really well. The topics aren't so difficult."

"You sure?"

Why is he asking? My parents almost never go deep into my school life so why today?

"Yes Dad,why do you ask?"

"Oh it's nothing. I realized your mother and I aren't involved in your school life and because of your schooling and our work,we don't get to sit together like this often."

"I guess you're right honey. I think we should plan a picnic or a getaway sometime", my mom chipped in.

Okay.....what's happening to my parents? Well,they have a point. I can't remember the last time we sat together as a family for breakfast. It's either my mom is at the hospital or my dad has some work in the office or both of them are not around. I'm glad they see this can come in the way of our family bond.

"What about you guys, how's work?" I asked when it seemed there was silence.

"Good good. Nothing new",they both said almost the same thing

"Okay",I smiled.

We had the rest of our breakfast in silence after that with just a few questions from my father which I answered briefly.

After breakfast,I took my bath and wore a t-shirt with shorts. I'm in my house,I need to be comfortable.

I heard the sound of a starting motorcycle outside and I looked through the window. It was Jayson Bradshaw. Did I mention he lived across the street? Yes, just opposite my house. I'm sure you're wondering how he hasn't noticed me if he lives just opposite to me. Trust me,I don't know either. No one from my school knows too, except Stephanie of course. I guess it's just my luck.

After watching him speed of with his black jacket, I sat cross-legged on my bed with my laptop watching movies,as usual.

Steph called and we spoke for about two hours before she hang up.

After a while I was bored so I decided to do my chemistry homework and I think I fell asleep. Don't blame me if chemistry is so boring. Plus,I didn't get enough sleep to my satisfaction this morning.

***

"Help!" I screamed before I broke off into a cough.

"Help me! Help!" I continued to scream as the smoke engulfed me.

Suddenly, I woke up and I could smell smoke coming from downstairs. I rushed down and there was smoke coming out from the kitchen. My dad was wearing baking gloves and he was trying to get the smoke which I noticed was coming out of the oven out with a napkin.

"What happened in here?" I asked using my hand to drive away the smoke.

"Kayra!",he exclaimed as if he was surprised to see me,"what are you doing here?"

"I could smell the smoke from my room. Dad,what were you trying to do?"

Wait,was he trying to bake pizza at home again? I facepalmed myself. He never learns.

"I was just giving a shot at the pizza again",he confessed and I don't know why I laughed. Maybe,it was because of his desperation even though we both know he'll almost never get it right.

"Okay Dad,you can go to the living room or your bedroom,I'll clean this up."

"Thanks dear."

"No worries. Oh and leave some money down, I'll just order a pizza."

He scratched his head. "Alright",he said before he left.

When the pizza delivery guy came,I collected our order and paid.

"Keep the change", I tipped him.

He muttered a thanks before leaving.

On days like these, I'm grateful my dad decided to embark on one of his "misadventures" because I get to eat pizza without asking or without using my own money. My mom almost always never orders pizza because she says it's junk food so it's bad for our health. She's not wrong but come on, who doesn't love those round shaped foods put in square boxes and eaten in triangles. You know what I'm saying?

I put my share of the pizza on a plate and took it up to my room.

I sat cross-legged on my bed ready to watch some more movies on my laptop and placed my plate of pizza in front of me.

Like I always say, there's nothing better than eating a two or three hot slices of pizza while sitting cross legged on your bed and watching Netflix.

******

Please vote and share

Thanks for reading 😊
Stay safe 😷

- Jess💖