Chapter 1: Get Your Own Boyfriend

"You can't catch me!" I shouted and started running. He chased after me and soon enough he caught me.

Suddenly,it started raining. He twirled me around in the rain and we were both laughing in excitement. He put me down when we were both out of breath. When we regained our composure,he looked into my blue eyes.

"I love you Kayra",he whispered and I smiled. I closed my eyes as he leaned in to kiss me

"Kayra,Kayra, psst.. Kayra,wake up."

"Huh?" My eyes fluttered open.

Oh come on,I dozed off in class again.

"And as you all know, George Washington became the first president of America",I heard Mr Hanson, our history teacher say.

"Stephhhhh,why did you wake me up?"

"Do want to get sent to the principal's office for sleeping in class?"

"Ok fine. But what did I miss?"

"We were talking about American history. "

"Oh okay"

I looked at my watch. 2 minutes to lunch.

Thank goodness

****Lunchtime****

I placed a burger and a diet Coke on my tray and moved to Stephanie and my lunch table.

"So any plans for after school?" She asked once I was seated

"No,but I do plan on finishing my siesta when I get home"

"Why do you always feel so sleepy? What do you do at night? What were you doing last night?"

"Watching YouTube videos"

She laughed,"Seriously"

"Yeah,I couldn't fall asleep. By the time I finally got some sleep,it was past 1 am"

"Whoa"

"Yeah"

"Hey babe",Gale,Stephanie's boyfriend came over to our table. He gave her a peck on the lips.

"Hi Gale, thanks for noticing me",I say sarcastically.

"Oh please,Gale is my boyfriend. If you want to be noticed,go get your own",she teased.

"Ouch",I pretended to be offended.

"So what's up Gale?" He grabbed the seat next to hers,turned it around and sat on it such that he was leaning on the back of the chair.

"Nothing much, just missing you",he said and Steph awwed.

"Oh come on,you guys were in the same classes the whole day",I scoffed.

"Once again Kayra,go get your own boyfriend",she chuckled.

"Whatever. Just allow me to have my lunch in peace."

Just then,my eyes moved towards the cafeteria door and coincidentally, Jason Bradshaw walked in. He had his hood on and his hands were in his pockets. He walked nonchalantly,as usual, to the back of the cafeteria. He had just a few friends because of the aura he carried around him.

I looked away just before we could lock eyes.

I guess you don't know anything about Jason Bradshaw but the only thing you should note is he's the mysterious bad boy of North hills high and having anything to do with him spells trouble and drama. That is why I have made up my mind not to cross paths with him. And I've been doing a good job so far since we're in senior year and he still hasn't noticed me.

I hurriedly finished up just before the end of lunch.

I had life skills.

***

"So I'll see you tomorrow", Stephanie was saying. School had ended and we were at the school's parking lot. She was waiting for her mom to come pick her up.

"Sure. I'll text you"

"Okay"

"And Kayra....."

"Yes"

"Don't forget to do your homework."

I laughed. "Yes Miss"

"I'm serious,I don't want what happened last time repeat itself."

"Don't worry,I'll do it. And even if I forget, you'll call me and remind me, won't you?" I winked at her

"The cons of being your bestfriend." She sighed and I giggled.

"Okay bye"

"Bye",she responded before I drove off in the black SUV my parents got me for my 17th birthday.

********

When I got home, my parents weren't home. My mom was probably at the hospital,she was a nurse. My dad should be at work.

I went to the kitchen to drink some water because I was exhausted. I still don't see why we are not paid for going to school,I mean it's a whole lot of work on it's own.

When I was fully refreshed, I locked the front door, because my mom is always particular about being security conscious and made my way to my bedroom,to my sweet, sweet bed.

Immediately I got to my room,I dropped my backpack on the floor beside my study table,kicked off my shoes and threw myself on my bed. I knew I was tired,but I didn't know I was so fatigued considering how fast I fell asleep.

I only woke up when I heard someone,whom I presume was my dad shout my name from downstairs. I looked at my alarm clock and it was dinnertime.

"Coming!!" I shouted back despite my super sleepy voice.

My mom was still not back which means dad cooked supper.

He isn't really a bad cook but let's just say he isn't the best there is.

As usual, dad's food was manageable. I did the dishes after we had finished eating while my dad settled on the couch to watch one of his TV programs.

"Dad,if you need me I'll be in my room. I said and excused myself. I still had that homework Stephanie reminded me of earlier today.

As expected, I had a text from Steph.

I couldn't call you so I decided to text. Do NOT forget to do your homework!!!
See ya tomorrow xxx.

Please get yourself a best friend like mine.

After about forty minutes of battling with sleep and algebra,I finally finished my homework.

I changed into my sleeping clothes, brushed my teeth and checked my alarm before falling asleep for the second time today.

*****

So that was the first chapter of "The Boy Across the Street". Please tell me what you think of it in the comments. And please don't forget to vote. Love y'all

Thanks for reading

- Jess💖