Chapter 29: I Gave In To His Eyes

Kayra's POV

It's been ten days since Gale and Stephanie's breakup. She's still trying to heal from the whole heartbreak thing and me being the bestest best friend that I am,I'm giving her all my support and comforting her in every way I can. Gale has been avoiding us, that's wise of him because if I ever see him come close to Stephanie again,I don't know what I would do to him. As for Lesley,what could she do,everytime she saw us,she looked as if she wanted to come and create a scene,but knowing that we knew about her little skeleton in the closet,she chose to keep quiet and ignore us. Gale had asked us not to say anything about the pregnancy and the baby to save his face so just the four of us knew,and probably Audrey,who had avoided us too. I don't know why though because I know without a doubt that if Lesley's secret ever got out,she would easily deny knowing anything and maybe even cut Lesley out of her life to save herself from any humiliation,yes,that's how mean Audrey Hughes can be. Well,at least,I finally have some peace of mind in this school.

The good news about this whole situation for me is the fact that my parents gave me back my car earlier than they said they would. According to them,I was learning my lesson well. My dad had also started going to work earlier because of his promotion and as such,he couldn't drop me at school anymore. They still had my laptop and headphones though, but as long as I had my baby back, I could manage without them. After all,my parents will give them back to me eventually. It's not like they had seized my laptop and headphones forever.

Currently,I was on my way to school with Stephanie. Before she and Gale broke up,he was her driver and so after the break up,her mom dropped her for the first few days until I got my car back. Now she goes with me. I glanced at her and she was looking outside the window lost in her thoughts. She had become a bit distant and reserved and I know it's because of what Gale had done to her. She's still the same fun, outgoing Stephanie but sometimes,she would just zone out and become moody and when I ask,she just says she's fine and it's nothing to worry about. Even though we both knew deep down she wasn't fine,I couldn't do anything about it other than watch her try to bury the pain and hurt, and she was failing at it. Everything showed on her face and in the way she behaved lately that Stephanie Cole was not okay.

****

"I'll come to your locker when I'm done picking my books so we can walk to class",I said to her when we got to my locker. Hers is ahead and because we now come together,I meet her at her locker so we can go instead of she coming to my locker like she used to do when Gale brought her so she came to school before me.

"Okay cool. Don't forget my calculus textbook."

"Don't worry, I took it home yesterday so it's in my backpack."

"Alright. See ya in a few."

After taking the few books I needed for the first two class sessions,I closed my locker and walked to Stephanie's. She was closing her locker when I got there so I didn't have to wait,we just went to homeroom from there. 

******

School was over now and I was putting my books in my locker. Stephanie was making small talk as she waited for me.

"So tomorrow,what are you doing? Wanna come hang out at my place?" She asked

"Steph,I'm still grounded remember?" She facepalmed herself.

"Oh yeah. Too bad",she groaned. "When is your punishment going to be over anyway?"

"Next two weeks."

"Really? It's still that far? You've only done two weeks?!!"

"Oh come on Steph. It's not too far,is it?" I kinda asked the last part.