Chapter 13: Seventy Percent

Stephanie and I were currently walking together to the parking lot. Gale was waiting for her there to take her home.

"Kayra,you know,you should just apologize to Jayson."

"What did you just say? I don't think I heard you right."

"Yeah,you should apologize to him"

"Me? Apologize to him? If anything,he should be apologizing to me because he's the one who disgraced me. I only returned the favour."

"Think about it,you need him for your biology project. And it's obvious he won't apologize so why not be the bigger person and do it. Who knows? He might soften up afterwards."

"Bigger person,yeah right."

"I'm really serious about this Kay. Your grade depends on him. If you behave towards him the same way he behaves towards you,then what's the difference between him and you? You're better than that, aren't you?"

"But it wasn't my fault. Why should I apologize for something I didn't do?"

"Why should you not?"

"You know what,let's stop talking about this. I'm not going to apologise. Period"

"Well,at least think about it."

I sighed. "Alright fine. Stephanie,I will think about it."

"Good. I gotta go. Gale's waiting for me."

"Call me."

"Sure"

During the drive home,I was thinking about what Steph said. Don't get me wrong,I am definitely not contemplating apologizing to him. That asshole? No way.

On the contrary, I was thinking of why I shouldn't apologize first. I mean, this is technically all his fault. If he hadn't poured soda on me,I wouldn't have poured water on him. Not to talk of the fact that despite being my bio partner,he walked out on me and left me to dissect that disgusting frog all by myself. So yeah, if anyone has to apologise,it's Jayson Bradshaw and not me. I am not at fault.

When I got home,my mom was around.

"Hey Mom",I greeted,"How was work?"

"Not bad. Nothing unusual happened."

"Oh that's good."

"What about you dear? How was school today?"

Annoying as usual.

"It wasn't bad too."

"Oh okay"

"I'm a little tired so I'm going to my room to rest."

"No problem. But make sure you're down by dinnertime."

"Yes mom."

The moment I hit my bed and closed my eyes,I was gone. Yes,I was that exhausted.

Luckily,I woke up just in time for dinner. It was delicious,as usual. I washed the dishes when we were all done eating -my usual routine- and went back to room to finish up my homework and possibly watch a few YouTube videos before I retire for the night.

When I was sure I was done with all my assignments and of course,the biology report for today,I decided to have a look at the piece of paper Mr Brooklyn gave everyone. According to him,it contained all the information we needed on what we had to do and write during the four weeks. I just  glanced through and almost didn't notice the little box at the bottom of the page. It read:

This project will account for 70% of your grade this semester.

What?! A whopping seventy percent?! He has got to be kidding me.

If it's that important,I need to get a partner and fast.

I called Steph. She picked on the first ring.

"Hey Kayra. What's up?"

"Steph,did you know the biology project will account for 70 percent of my grade this semester?"

"Kayra,I'm not in your biology class. How on earth would I know that?!"

"Okay okay, well it does."

"So what's the problem?"

"The problem is I don't have a freaking partner!"

"Whoa, calm down. Stop shouting into the phone."

"Sorry."

"But you do have a partner. What happened to Jayson Bradshaw?"

"Weren't you listening when I said he doesn't want to work with me? And obviously,I don't want to work with him either."

"Kayra,are we still on this? I already told you, apologize to him. Maybe he'll rethink things and decide to be your partner."

"Stephanie,I do not want him as my partner."

"What other option do you have?"

Damn,she was right.

"So you either take my advice or fail biology."

Why was she always right?

"Fine,I guess it won't hurt to say a simple sorry."

"That's more like it."

Yeah yeah. Now I have to get some sleep. We still have school tomorrow.

"Uggh school"

"I know right"

"Okay I'll see you tomorrow"

"Yeah. Good night."

"Night Kay"

Before I closed my eyes, just one thing was on my mind:

How the hell was I going to apologise to Jayson freaking Bradshaw?!

*******

Thanks for reading😊

Have a wonderful week🤗

- Jess💖