Chapter 9:Watch Out For That...Bike?!

"Why the hell isn't it coming out?!"

I was getting exasperated as I continued rubbing a wet face towel on my hair to get the soda out but it just wasn't coming out!

Steph, there's a problem. My hair is stained and it's not coming out. I texted her and she replied almost immediately.

I'll be there in three minutes.

True to her word,she was in the ladies washroom in less than three minutes.

"Kay,what happened?"

"It's the soda,it stained my hair." I still couldn't understand how the stain was visible because I had brown hair.

"Gosh!"

"Is it that visible?"

"Yes,yes it is. But don't worry,I know what to do."

She pulled a scarf out of her pocket and started wrapping it around my head. By the time she was done,it looked like it was the newest trend in town. You wouldn't even know there was a problem with my hair.

"Oh Steph, you're a lifesaver!" I exclaimed.

"Well,I don't mean to brag,but I guess I am",she flipped her hair to one side and I rolled my eyes before we both burst into laughter.

"Shhh! Now let's get out of here before Mr Jefferson sends someone looking for me."

She was right. She probably excused herself to go to the washroom or something.

"Oh yeah. Let's go"

"Wait,I'll go first then you follow after two minutes. I told him you went to the Nurse's office."

"Smart"

"I know I know. See you in class."

"Mmmhmm"

********

"Dad, I'm going for a run,I'll be back soon" I shouted to my dad who was in the kitchen presumably preparing dinner.

"Okay dear. Hurry back and don't run into a tree"

"I shook my head."

"Sure thing",I replied before heading out.

"I plugged my earphones into my ears and curved down the street."

As I was running,my mind drifted to what happened in school today: Jayson Bradshaw and the soda incident,the Audrey drama and of course,my untouched fries.

I still couldn't believe he actually poured soda on me just because I accidentally bumped into him. I guess his lack of manners had more to it than his loathe for saying thank you.

The fact that he even gave Audrey an opportunity to make fun of me irked me all the more.

And speaking of Audrey,who does she think she is? Talking to me and by bestfriend like that! If Gale hadn't stopped us, I swear,I would have really given her what she deserved. That girl needed a really good lesson one of these days.

Oh my fries! My tasty tasty fries

This was the second time I had to relinquish my food because of her and that definitely did not put her even on the back page of my good book. As far as I'm concerned,her name is first on my go-to-hell list.

As a matter of fact,Jayson Bradshaw's little stunt this afternoon put him at risk of being on that list.

The little crush I had developed after the library incident had totally disappeared the moment I found out my hair was stained. On the contrary,I started to hate him. No,hate is a strong word; I started to dislike him.

Oh and I didn't forget about Gale. I made him buy me two large sized ice cream cones because technically this was all his fault. If he hadn't stolen my fry,I wouldn't have chased him.

Lost in my thoughts and in the music that was blasting in my ears,I couldn't hear the bicycle honk that was supposed to be directed at me.

"Move out of the way!"

Before I could register what was happening, someone gripped my arm and pulled me off the sidewalk

"Are you okay?" A guy about Gale's age asked me.

"Yeah,yeah...um thanks",I looked up.

His green eyes were beautiful.

"No problem. But next time,take care when running."

I just smiled,maybe a fake one,I don't even know.

"By the way,I'm Kingsley."

I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself as well. Uggh!

"Kayra, I'm Kayra."

"Nice name"

"Thanks"

"Wait,I think I know you. You're the soda girl in school today"

The soda girl?

Have they nicknamed me already?

"You go to Woodland high?"

"Yeah"

How come I've never seen him before?

"Then I guess I am"

"I personally think what happened to you was unfair. I mean you bumped into him by accident."

I didn't know what to say so I just shrugged.

"Anyway, you stay around?" He asked, perhaps sensing I didn't want to talk about it.

"Um, yeah, just a few blocks from here"

"Oh okay. I stay around too."

I nodded

"So maybe I'll see you again"

Or maybe not

"I guess"

"Okay,run carefully",then he smiled and crossed the road.

It's not my fault I wasn't being interactive, I just don't like meeting new people. He's even lucky I was polite.

'Kayra,he just saved you',my conscience reprimanded

It was just a bicycle,what could have happened?

I'm sure my conscience would have rolled its eyes if it were standing beside me

Ah well, I better head home before my dad begins to think I actually ran into a tree.

Of course,no one needs to tell him it was a bike.

********

Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to vote and share.

Picture of Kingsley below

- Jess💖