Chapter 22: Study Date

On Monday morning,my dad dropped me off at school since my car had been 'confiscated'. He didn't say a word to me the entire journey until we got to the school and he said,"Have a nice day."

"You too Dad",I responded and he drove off.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and made my way into the school. Call it a coincidence,but immediately I got to the entrance, Jayson Bradshaw was walking out. He was probably going to bunk class. We said nothing to each other,he just glared at me and I stared back until we passed each other. Over the weekend,I made up my mind to talk to him,to try to convince him to work on the project with me. A week had already gone by and another was about to so if we don't come together as soon as possible, we're going to flunk. Wait, lemme rephrase that, I am going to flunk because maybe he doesn't even care. I figured since my parents were already mad at me, I should pass all my exams this year in order to get back into their good books and I'm not going to allow Jayson to prevent me from doing just that.

I was at my locker getting my books when Steph came over so we can go to class together. She already knew about my punishment. She even offered to come and pick me up when Gale drives her but today my dad wanted to bring me to school personally.

"Hey girl",she greeted.

"Hi Steph."

"How was the ride?"

"Not bad, just that my dad was driving at a lower speed as compared to when I drove myself and he didn't even make conversation with me or anything. Just silence, throughout the drive so it was kinda boring."

"Poor you. But you'll be joining us tomorrow when we're coming right?"

"Yeah I'll be coming to school with you guys until I get my car back"

"Cool. Ready?"

"Yeah"

I took the books I needed,banged my locker shut and walked with my best friend to homeroom.

***Lunchtime***

Stephanie and I sat at our usual table. After a while,I expected Gale to join us but he didn't.

"Um, Steph, where's Gale? Won't he have lunch with us today?"

"I don't know where he is Kay",she replied.

"What do you mean you don't know? I thought he was your 'boyfriend'",I made air quotes on boyfriend.

"Yes,but I don't know where he is. He's been acting kind of strange these days."

"Huh? How do you mean?"

"I don't know. He just disappears sometimes and gives excuses when I ask him why,and he's always making secret phone calls, talking to someone in my absence and when he sees me coming,he puts the phone away. I have a feeling he's hiding something from me."

"Wow. That doesn't sound like him. It's probably something important. I trust him. He's a good guy."

"I really hope so. But I can't help but feel suspicious, you know?"

"Yeah but I'm sure it's nothing you should be worried about."

"Okay,if you say so."

Just then,my eye caught Jayson leaving the cafeteria.

He actually had lunch here?

That's not the matter now.

"Um, Steph,I'll be right back."

"Okay"

I needed to talk to him,to make him work with me and now's my chance. I might not get another like this.
I drank some water and hurried out of the cafeteria. He was already down the hallway so I shouted his name.

"Jayson!"

He turned and saw me. Surprisingly,he stopped.

I caught up with him but I didn't even know how to start.

"Um Jayson, I just wanted to...."

He cut me off. What is it with him and not allowing me to complete my sentences?!

"I already told you,I'm not going to work with you so if it's about the biology project, forget it."

"I know you don't like me but please work on the project with me. If we don't do it, we're going to fail biology this year and I really need to pass. After the project is over,you can go back to hating me,I don't care but at this point,I'm begging you to be my partner. Just put up with me for the next few weeks and let's get this done. Already, we've wasted a week and we have a lot to do. Please, Jayson please." The way I'm begging,if he doesn't at least agree to think about it,it would just confirm that Jayson Bradshaw is heartless and thinks about no one but himself.

What he said next,even though it was what I wanted to hear, shocked me.

"Fine",he sighed.

"I'll be your partner". I almost shed a tear out of relief.

"Thank you. Um,I was thinking we could start today.....", I didn't know what he would say to that so I felt kind of uncertain when I suggested that.

"Okay fine. The library,after school. You have just one hour."

Huh? He's giving me a time frame? Well,what choice do I have?

"Uh okay,I'll meet you there."

Then he turned and left without another word.

At least he agreed for us to begin working on it,that's a good start.

****

School was over and I was currently standing with Stephanie at the parking lot beside Gale's car. He was leaning on the side of the car and texting.

"So how would you go home when you're done?" She asked

"I don't know, maybe Gale can come pick me up."

"Gale!!" We both shouted his name.

He was startled,"Huh? Yeah,what's up?"

"Can you come and pick me up in an hour?"

"Uh sure."

"Cool,I'll call you when I'm done."

"Okay"

"You see what I was talking about?" Steph whispered to me.

"What?"

"He was definitely texting someone and didn't expect us to call him"

"Oh Stephanie. I'm sure you're just overthinking things. Gale's a good guy"

"Okay okay"I shook my head. "Have fun on your study date",she teased.

"It's not a study date. Come on,the guy still hates me,it's just going to be torture. He might not even do anything, just leave all the work to me."

"I don't think he'll do that."

"Well,let's see how it goes. I'll talk to you later."

"Sure. Bye."

She got into the car along with Gale and they drove off.

I walked to the library. Okay,so I'm back here even though I swore I would never come here again,all thanks to biology and the bad boy.

Just like the last time,I sighed and entered.

********

Hey everyone,I hope you liked this chapter. Jayson and Kayra are finally going to spend a little time together. Hurray!! Yes, yes they still don't like each other but it's a start right?
And..... Stephanie is suspecting Gale on something. Do you think there's really something up his sleeve or you agree with Kayra? Let's wait to find out.

Please don't forget to vote,comment and share.

Thanks for reading xxx

-Jess💖