Chapter 11: Who's Having a Bad Day?

"As I was saying,for the next four weeks, we're going to be working on frogs. I will be putting you in groups of two. You'll be having practicals on dissecting a frog and other things you'll have to know. At the end of every practical session,each pair would write a report. To climax everything after the four weeks,each pair gives a presentation on,well,you know, 'Frogs'. Any questions?" Our biology teacher was telling us about a project we apparently are supposed to work on for the next four weeks.

A few people asked questions. The rest were probably grumbling at the prospect of actually having to write reports;some of those people would be me.

Already,I hate biology and Jayson Bradshaw being in this same class doesn't make it any better now this. Could this class get any worse?!

"Now that everything is clear,I will pair you up now. Note that I'm doing this in a random order and I'm not being bias or anything."

As he was mentioning the names I wasn't really paying attention,I was just hoping I get paired up with one of those nerds who always want to do all the work because they feel they're smarter than everyone else.

I was scribbling something in my notebook when I finally heard Mr Brooklyn mention my name.

"Summers, you're with Bradshaw."

What?!

I swear I didn't see that coming. Did I say this class couldn't get any worse? Scratch that, because it just did.

How can I be working with him? He probably hates my guts right now,and unfortunately,the feeling is mutual.

I really need to speak with Mr Brooklyn after the class. This is never going to work out.

I turned my head a little to get a glimpse of the guy who sits behind me now.

He looked relaxed?!

Does he know Summers is me? Whatever,I don't even care. I just need to get my partner changed.

"Okay,now that everything is settled,let's move on with the lesson for the day. If you still have any questions or problems,you can see me after the class."

Oh thank God.

****

After the closing bell rang,I waited for everyone to leave before going to see the biology teacher.

"Excuse me Mr Brooklyn. May I please have a word with you."

"Sure. How may I help you?"

"Um,it's about my partner."

"Okay. Any problem?"

"It's just that I don't think working with him will be the best thing for us."

"Any particular reason?"

"Um,not really but...."

"If there's no reason,then I'm afraid you will have to work with him."

"But Mr Brooklyn....",I changed my mind after realizing he won't give me a different partner no matter what I said,"....never mind. Thanks."

"You're welcome."

With that,I left the classroom with disappointment written all over my face.

Just thinking about the coming four weeks made me want to barf.

****

"Kay, what's wrong? Why did you take so long to come out?"

"You're coming over to my place right?"

"Yeah."

"Cool, I'll explain on the way. Let's go"

"Are you serious?" She just started laughing fter I told her what happened in class.

"Yes I am. And it's not funny."

"Okay okay. So you guys will be working together even though you practically loathe each other?"

"You don't have to state the obvious",I huffed.

"Okay fine. But one thing's for sure;these coming weeks are going to be really interesting."

"You can say that again"

***

She stayed at my place for a few hours before she went home.

My mom prepared dinner. I think today was her day off or something.

"I have some good news",my dad announced when we were all settled at the dining table.

"Really?"I asked at the same time Mom said,"what is it dear?"

"Okay,you remember I said I may be promoted at work this month?"

"Yeah?"

"I got the promotion"

"Oh wow, congratulations Dad."

"Congrats dear"

"There's more news."

"What is it?"

"We'll be having dinner with my boss's family next Saturday."

I suddenly broke into a coughing spell.

"Are you okay sweetie?" Here have some water,my mom offered.

"We're having dinner? At your boss's?" I managed to say after my cough had died down.

"Kay,is there any problem with that?"

"Oh no,no problem."

Yes, there's a big problem.

I might have forgotten to mention but my dad works with AB group of companies, which is owned by the Bradshaws. So what this means is, we'll be having dinner at the Bradshaws' house which is the same house Jayson Bradshaw lives in

I need to lay down. I can't believe this. Why did all this have to happen on the same day?!

"So we are going over to the Bradshaws' next Saturday",he clarified.

"Erm,yeah yeah,sure."

"Good."

"I'll be in my room if you need me,I said after I had done the dishes."

I still needed to take everything that happened today in.

******

Thanks for reading

- Jess💖