Chapter 24: Protector

This day has finally come. I don't know why I avoided it when I knew sooner or later he was going to find out. It's not like anything was even going to change if he found out,everything is going to be like before so why am I freaking out on this?

My thoughts were distracted when he said,"Hold on" and made a quick curve. I was so afraid I was going to fall, I wrapped my arms around his waist on impulse. The force of the curve made me bump my head on to his back. And I don't know why but I didn't let go,I held on to his waist for the rest of the ride. He didn't protest or resist or anything,he just kept on speeding. For some strange reason,I felt protected when I held on to him. I felt like as long as I held him, nothing was going to happen to me and I don't know why I felt that way.

"What's your address?" He shouted because the rain and the sound the tyres made were making it difficult for me to hear what he was saying if he didn't shout.

"233 Brooklyn Street", I replied.

"Brooklyn Street?"

"Yes", I said quietly but loud enough for him to hear.

I knew he had already figured out it was his street too but he didn't say anything. In a few minutes,we were in front of my house. I got down,took off the helmet and used my hand to wipe away the water that was flowing down my face because of the rain. I gave him back his helmet and he was about to turn into his driveway when I said,"Thanks for the ride".

"Sure",he muttered and went to his house which was just opposite.

I walked into the warmth of my house and went to my room to put on some fresh clothes and hopefully catch some sleep because the weather was just perfect. As I was drying my hair with my towel,I decided to check my phone for any calls or texts from Gale. There were two missed calls from him and one text from my mother. I checked the text first.

Kayra, I know you're grounded but could you please go over to Aunt Flora's workplace to take a package for me? You can go after the rain subsides.

Take care

Oh come on!

I wanted to get some sleep ,I whined to myself but still changed into a hoodie and some cargo pants.

Aunt Flora is my mom's younger sister. She works as a secretary at a therapy center a few blocks from our house so it was a walking distance. The rain died down a few minutes later and I left the house.

Jayson's POV

It was Monday morning but I didn't feel like going to school so I decided to skip today. After Kayra and her parents left that evening, I noticed she did touch my things even though I asked her not to touch anything. It doesn't really matter anyway, I was really giving that girl a tough time because of the biology project. I know I started everything by pouring the soda on her head that day,I mean she bumped into me by mistake right? But when she returned the favor by pouring water on me, I wasn't expecting it. She was braver than I thought.

Anyway,back to the present.

I was in school at the moment and the bell will go off any moment from now so I had to get out of here fast if I was bunking before any teacher sees me. As I was walking out,I saw her coming in, Kayra,in all of her glory.

Wait what?

I didn't say a world to her. I just stared at her and she stared back until we passed each other. Her eyes had something in them,they captivated me and it felt as though she was communicating with them, like she really needed to speak with me. She probably wanted to ask me again to work with her on the project. The truth was,I had to do the project because my grades were going downhill so I don't know why I was refusing her and giving off attitude.