Chapter 47: Happy Birthday Kayra

Kayra's POV

It's finally here,my eighteenth birthday.
Just another ordinary day for everyone else,but for me,my life is going to change from today.

Okay, I might be exaggerating but today is a really important day in my life.

After my alarm woke me up,I freshened up quickly and dressed. Looking in the mirror,I was proud of myself. I wore a pleated mid-thigh length skirt and a white round neck t-shirt and my white sneakers. I left my brown curly hair hanging down my back and applied a little makeup. I looked really really cute and I loved my look

My eighteen year old look.

Satisfied with my reflection,I went downstairs for breakfast. My mom was preparing something in the kitchen and my dad was in the living room drinking a glass of juice and reading today's paper.

"Good morning Dad",I greeted,a little too cheerily.

"Hey, happy birthday kiddo",he wished me

"Thank you Dad"

"So my little baby's all grown up now"

"That's right", I sang and did a little 360

God,I really am in high spirits today.

"I can see you're really happy today",he said as if reading my mind

I just giggled and my mom entered at that moment holding a small round chocolate cake with a single lighted candle lighted in it.

"Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Kayra
Happy birthday to you",she sang and moved closer to me. I had this huge grin on my face as I waited for the birthday song to end

"Happy birthday sweetie. I wish you a year full of love and happiness,and success in all you do",she said

"Thank you Mom"

"Now,make a wish and blow out the candle."

I did as she asked and she gushed immediately the flame went out

"My baby's eighteennnn",she fussed

"Yes Mom,it's not a big deal"

Oh shut up Kayra,of course it's a big deals

"Alright alright,let's have breakfast or else we'll all be late."

I nodded and the three of us sat down around the dining table.

I smiled at the fact that they both made the effort for us to have breakfast together today to celebrate with me.
I said a little prayer, asking God to keep us together like this as one little happy family always.

I prepared a mug of hot cocoa for myself, along with my chocolate cake.
I was busy devouring it when I remembered.

"Um, Mom, Dad, I'll be back home a little late today, Jayson is taking me out after school."

"Aww, that's sweet",I blushed a little at her comment.

"I know", I agreed.

"Well, you're free to go but don't be late for the get-together."

"I won't be late"

Typically, everyone is expected to throw this big party on their 18th birthday and have this photoshoot and everything but it's different in my case. I'm not having any party this year, instead we're having a get-together,a few of my friends have been invited,some of my aunts, uncles, cousins will be there as well. You would wonder why I'm having a get-together with my family members on my eighteennnn birthday and not going out and about with my friends doing crazy stuff,but this is what I want. I would rather spend time with my family members who actually care about me because my well-being affects them one way or the other than going out with friends,half of whom secretly hate you and just want to see what's going on in your life.