Chapter 48 : As Beautiful as a Diamond

"I'll have an iced caramel macchiato, please."

Jayson and I were currently at 'The Brewery',the same coffee shop he brought me on our first date. He wanted to take me to a restaurant but I told him I didn't want to be too satisfied since I'll have to eat at the get-together this evening so he brought me here instead.

"And for you?" The waiter turned to Jayson

"A mocha frappe, please"

"Anything else?"

"Can we have some chocolate chip cookies along with the drinks?"

"Sure. Your orders will be ready in a few minutes"

"Thanks"

Soon, our orders arrived and we ate, while engaging in small talk.

I never seemed to get enough of the steamed milk topping on the iced caramel expresso. It's just so good,and the vanilla syrup they put in it just melts my taste buds.

"If you're done savouring the milky goodness of your macchiato,can we go now?" Jayson joked.

"Allow me,this is so good"

He laughed,"I know"

"Good. I'm done,you can call the waiter"

"Nice"

He paid the bill and we left.

"Where are we going now?" I asked when we were in the car and he started driving.

"Out of town"

"Um okay"

"Yup",he turned and smiled at me and I smiled back.

He stopped at Burger King and bought some burgers.

"Why do we need those?"

"I know you Kayra, you'll be hungry in the next thirty minutes."

I slapped his arm playfully,"No I won't"

"Bet me"

"Okay maybe I'll get a little hungry",I admitted

"Oh yeah?"

"Stop it",I hit his arm again and he laughed just before we left civilization into the countryside.

*******

After driving for about twenty minutes,when we were completely out of town,he parked by the curb. I saw and recognized the little pond at the far end on my right,and the wild roses and dandelions. The place was so peaceful and serene and calms me everytime I come here.

Ever since the first time Jayson brought me here, we've been coming here often to escape the pressures of reality. You can say it has become sorta like our getaway spot.

He got out of the car and I did too,with the burgers. We sat on the trunk and I took one and tore a big bite.

"I told you they would come in handy",he teased

"Oh keep quiet",I said and he laughed.

He did keep quiet though and just gazed into the horizon. I finished the burger and did same after cleaning my hands.There was a mirage at the far end of the road from where cars would appear out of nowhere, and from a tiny speck,it would enlargen as the car get closer and finally passes us by into town.

"So, you say you're 18 now huh?"

"Yup, I'm 18 now."

"I see"

"Mmmhmm"

"So what's your plan for the year? Any resolution or anything?"

"Well",I started,"I haven't really planned or even thought about getting a 'resolution' for the year",I made air quotes.

"But I guess I'm just going to work on making the grades to get into Oxford. I mean I am going to college this year."

"College",he kind of whispered

"Yeah college"

"Have you actually paid attention to the fact that we'll be graduating in just a few months?"

"Yeah,I have", I said slowly,"why?"

"Do you know there's a chance we can get separated?" I felt a sharp pain in my chest when he asked that

"Yes,yes I know",my voice dropped

To be honest,ever since this year began, that question has been on my mind almost all the time. Jayson has made it clear to me that he's choosing Princeton over Oxford. I would have done same too but Oxford University has been my dream since middle school. Plus,my parents really want me to go there. I just don't know what will happen,or more precisely,what will happen to me I I do get separated from him. Yes,I know there's something called long distance relationships but they don't work for anyone and I don't know whether it'll work for me.

Yes,you may ask me why I won't choose Princeton to be with him but then again,why won't he give up Princeton to be with me? Relationships are about compromises,yes but this has been my dream and I can't give it up and so I understand if he doesn't want to give up his dream either.

"Kayra?" He broke my train of thought and I looked into his eyes.

"I love you,I don't want us to get separated." His blue orbs were full of so much emotion,I could almost cry.

"Then pick Oxford",I croaked

"I can't",he looked away and my heart fell

But it's fine,I understand.

With my hand,I turned his face so I was looking into his eyes again.

"Don't worry, when the time comes, we'll know what to do",I smiled and he returned it.

Suddenly,he remembered something.

"Oh,I almost forgot." He got off the trunk and opened the backseat door. He took out a red jewellery case and brought it to me. The package was super cute and I could already guess what was in it.

"Happy birthday Princess",he opened the case,to show a very beautiful diamond pendant.

I gushed at the sight of it.

"Oh my God, Jayson this is so beautiful",I could feel those tears again

"But not as beautiful as you"

Awwn

I looked up with the biggest smile ever into his face that expressed so much love,all that love,for me.

I leaned in and kissed him,he kissed back and deepened it. At that moment,time seemed to have frozen, everything else disappeared, even the fear I had a few minutes ago about being separated from him was gone, all that I knew was I was with him right now,I was with the love of my life and he loved me just as much as I love him.

We finally pulled away and I said, "I love you"

"I love you,too",he smiled.

"Now come here,let me put this on you."

I leaned forward and lifted my hair for him to clip the necklace around my neck.

God,it's so beautiful

When he was done,he climbed back up the car trunk and I placed my head on his shoulder. He was looking into the sky and I closed my eyes, drifting into a world of my own.

After a few minutes,he said,"Come on, let's go back. You don't want to be late for your get-together."

*******

Hey everyone
So this was the last but one chapter of 'The Boy Across the Street'..... I hope you liked it. The final chapter will be out very soon. Please don't forget to vote

Happy Easter

I love y'all

-Jess💖