Chapter 19: Bombshell

Kayra's POV

I woke up with a very bad headache threatening to split my a head into two. It took me a minute before everything that happened last night came flooding in my memory.

Oh my God,what have I done?

Wait a sec,how did I get into my bed? The last thing I remember is passing out at the front door. Maybe, Gale brought me up. The realization that he carried me up the stairs made me cringe because I'm well aware of how heavy I am. I always made up my mind to workout or take some kind of weight loss exercise but somehow my laziness always got the better of me and I never got up to it. But right now,my weight problem was not the matter at hand, the problem is how I'm going to face my parents. I can decide to stay in bed saying I'm not feeling well but sooner or later I would have to come out of my room and face my mom and dad.

I felt a strange tightening knot in my stomach and something rising up to my throat.

Oh boy

I rushed to the washroom and got to the sink just in time before I threw up on the bathroom floor. After vomiting my guts out,I rinsed my mouth and sat on the floor.

Never ever am I drinking again,I swore to myself. I said that last night,but now after witnessing the aftermath of getting drunk,it became more or less like a vow.

I remembered it was time for breakfast and quickly brushed my teeth. I changed out of my sleeping clothes and said a prayer before I left my bedroom to join my family downstairs for breakfast as well as await my impending punishment.

So help me God

*****

When I got to the dining room,both my parents were there which means mom was either on afternoon shift or it was her day off. I didn't know whether it was fortunate or unfortunate that they were both around. It could be fortunate because my mom might intercede for me when Dad gives a harsh punishment. In the same way,it could be unfortunate because Mom might be on the same page as Dad and would support him which will end me up with an even harsher punishment.

I sighed and took my seat at the dining table.

"Good morning Dad. Good morning Mom",I greeted with a shaky voice. Clearly,I was afraid of them at this point because of what I had done and what I knew was coming.

"Good morning Kayra." They responded almost simultaneously

Strike one. They called me Kayra. They usually call me that when it's something serious.

"How was your night?" My dad asked

How am I supposed to answer that. What am I supposed to say? They know what I did already, don't they?

"It...it was okay",I stammered and he nodded.

No one spoke after that and I felt there was some form of uneasiness in the air because I kept shifting uncomfortably and secretly taking glances at my parents. I expected them to drop the bombshell at any point during the meal but neither of them said anything. After eating,my dad got up to the living room area to watch football on the television while my mom went into the kitchen leaving me to clear the table.

While doing the dishes,I expected my mom who was still in the kitchen probably preparing to cook lunch to say something,at least scold me but nothing,there was silence with the only noises being the ones coming from the plates and pots when they hit each other as I was washing them.

When I was done,I wiped my hands dry with a napkin. I didn't know whether to confront my parents or go to my room to wait for them to call me. Their silence was making me confused and even more frightened because I took it as the proverbial calm before the storm.