[40]

"This is the final one." Willow threw the bag of ice to Derek as they filled up a metal tub. "I'll see you guys later." She bid goodbye, not wanting to be there but Deaton put a hand out to stop her.

"Willow, I'm gonna need you to stay here."

"What for doc?" Willow asked with almost a whine.

"Because you're like an anchor to Isaac." Deaton replied with a small smile.

Willow briefly looked at Isaac and sighed, walking back towards the tub, folding her arms.

"You okay?" Scott whispered to Willow who just shrugged.

"Obviously it's not going to be particularly comfortable but if we can slow your heart rate down enough, you'll slip into a trance like state." Deaton explained to Isaac.

"Like being hypnotized." Isaac nodded as he neared the tub full of ice.

"Exactly. You'll be half transformed." Deaton explained. "It'll let us access your subconscious mind."

"How slow does his heart rate need to be?" Scott asked with worry.

"Very slow."

"Okay, well, how slow is very slow?" Derek asked Deaton as Isaac crouched down, holding the edge of the tub.

"Nearly dead." Deaton replied as Isaac momentarily touched the water, inhaling sharply at the cold.

"It's safe though, right?" Isaac asked looking up at Deaton.

"Do you want me to answer honestly?"

"No, no. Not really." Isaac shook his head at Deaton's reply as a rubber glove snapping made all of them look at Stiles.

Stiles shot them a puzzled look as if he didn't do anything with a rubber glove going down to his elbow. Derek rolled his eyes at the teenager making him scoff and yank the glove off of his arm.

"Look, if it feels too risky, you don't have to do this." The Alpha faced Isaac again, making sure he was okay with doing this.

Isaac took off his sweater and put it on the table. Exhaling loudly, he stepped into the tub, sitting down in the ice cold water. Gasping from the cold, he started shivering immediately.

"If this doesn't work and I die..." Isaac spoke up when Scott and Derek each put a hand on his shoulder. "I truly am sorry for lying to you." He looked at Willow with apologetical eyes.

"You're not going to die." Willow nodded, giving him a weak smile.

Scott and Derek took this as their cue to push Isaac under. Willow took a step back when Isaac loudly growled, getting out.

"Get him back under." Deaton said so the two werewolves did as told.

Isaac's survival instinct had kicked in and he was trashing under their hands, trying to get out.

"Hold him."

"We're trying!" Derek shouted at Deaton as they struggled to do so.

Willow took in a shaky breath and looked at Stiles. He understood what she meant so they each grabbed Isaac's legs and held them still until he wasn't moving anymore. Willow quickly removed her hand and crossed her arms, trying to keep her breathing steady. Isaac's body slowly floated to the surface and he lightly inhaled, his eyes still closed.

"Now remember, only I talk to him." Deaton said in a hushed tone, holding up one finger. "Too many voices will confuse him and draw him out. Isaac? Can you hear me?"