chapter 17

I glanced at the sky as the bus moved forward into the horizon. The cold breeze nipped my skin but I didn’t notice because I was too busy counting the stars. I probably looked like an idiot laying on a blanket on top of a moving bus but right now I didn’t care. The evening sky looked so different here than in the city it was as if I stepped into a planetarium and my eyes feasted couldn’t get enough of the sight. I drew in a cold breath and sighed. Now that my anger cooled down I realized I couldn’t do anything to hurt my mom like that. Running away or just disappearing would never be an option, I loved them too much to do that, and since I was already seen with Louis and I’ve already graced a couple of websites I would never be a face in the crowd again. It was both a curse and a gift. Just thinking about the last couple of weeks made me smile. The boys, all of them, would forever have a special place in my heart. Though Harry secured a place long before all of them carved theirs I only wished I could stay longer for my feelings to blossom into something greater than infatuation. I sighed again and closed my eyes letting my sense of touch and feeling take over.

“Looks like you’re having fun.” I turned around and saw Harry emerging from the door wearing a jacket and his boxer shorts. I smiled and propped myself up on my shoulder.

“You look ridiculous in that Scooby doo shorts of yours.” I said smirking.

“It was either this or the Hannah Montana pajama Niall gave me. Apparently I’m out of clothes.” He said sitting down beside me.

“And here I was thinking I was the only one running out of stuff.” I said wrapping my arms around my knees and drawing them to my chest. Harry crossed his legs Indian style beside me and for the first time glanced up the sky.

“Is it really necessary for you to leave?” Harry said still looking at the sky just as mesmerized by the stars as me. I nodded and smiled sadly.

“I wouldn’t do anything to hurt my mom. She has to say yes, she has to accept that I’m grown up now.” I said.

“Don’t tell him I told you but Louis said you’re special that’s why they’re so afraid of losing you.” Harry said. He scooted up next to me so that our bodies were practically inches apart and I could feel the heat coming from him.

“Either that or because they’re afraid of losing me again” I said. I didn’t like talking about personal things with anyone but Harry was my brother’s band mate and from what I can see they were the closest.

“Again?” Harry said drawing his eyes to me in curiosity. I nodded and smiled at him.

“When I was seven I almost died.” I whispered to him playfully. His eyes widened a bit and his features softened.

“What happened?” He said pity clear in his voice. This was the reason I didn’t want to tell anyone my near death experience. I didn’t want to remember the pain I suffered and the pity people gave me. They looked at me like I was as fragile as a china doll at one point maybe I was but later on I just got tiresome.

“I got diagnosed with leukemia.” I said slowly. As expected Harry was shocked it took a minute for his slack jaw to rise up again and his eyes to go back to normal size. Unexpectedly Harry wrapped his arms around me tightly pulling me to him so that I was sitting on his lap.

“You are as fragile as they say you are.” He murmured against my neck. I wriggled against his grasp and fell back on my spot beside him.

“Don’t say that. That’s exactly why I don’t tell people about my illness before. I don’t have leukemia anymore I’m as healthy as a horse why can’t you see that, why can’t they see that?” I said desperation bubbling in my voice.

“Sophie, I get why they’re like that. I mean you are important to them they love you. I can see the way Loui looks at you in his brotherly way.” Harry said. I sighed Harry made sense they love me that’s why they’re so over protective.

“You know you’re the first person I told about my past, except my family and a few of my bestfriends.” I said smiling at him.

“I am deeply honored.” He said putting one of his hands on his chest.

“Are you cold?” He asked. I haven’t noticed that the temperature was now freezing. Maybe it was because of the closeness I felt with Harry that I forgot about the cold. I shivered then and goose bumps ran up my arms.

“A bit” I said.

“Here” Harry said taking off his jacket and draping it to both of us. I rested my head on his shoulder and hooked my arm with his so our position won’t be awkward.

“Sophie, I don’t want you to go.” Harry said as he rested his head on top of mine.

“Well I don’t want to go.” I said.

“You know you’re the only girl who I haven’t kissed on the first date” He said.

“We’ll this isn’t technically a date.” I said smiling I could feel him smiling against my head too.

“No this is better.” He said pulling me to my feet and placing a hand on my waist.

“What are you doing?” I said as he picked up my hand and held it against his lips.

“Dancing with you” He said it as if the idea came as naturally as breathing. He began to sway our hips from side to side and since I was still in this ridiculous cast he kept the rhythm in a slow pace.

“Hopefully we wouldn’t get interrupted up here.” I said as I leaned in to him and molded with his frame.

“You’ll never know when you’ll brother will pop up like a savage mushroom.” He said. I laughed and looked up to see him looking down at me. Slowly but surely he lowered his lips to meet mine. Was this it? Were we finally going to kiss? Third time’s the charm as they say. Finally our lips touched in an explosion of fireworks. It felt like every nerve of my body was on high alert. I parted my lips slightly and welcomed Harry as he molded and moved his lips against mine. He wove his fingers in my locks and tilted my head sideways. We kissed until our heads swam in ecstasy and we had to come up for air.

“You’re right this is better.” I whispered hoarsely as I buried my face in Harry’s chest inhaling his masculine scent.