chapter 34

SOPHIE**

I sat on my room as I thought about Harry’s kiss in the grocery. Could I really turn my back on him? Up until this point we never had “the talk” and maybe we should. We haven’t officially broken up yet well at least with the two of us completely sober. But as they say once burnt twice shy. It isn’t wise for me to get back with him although that’s what my heart is saying. Someone knocked on the door and opened it hesitantly.

“Sophie?” Zayn poked his head in and smiled at me.

“Hi, Zayn.” I said waving him in. He closed the door softly behind him and plopped down next to me.

“What are you doing here?” He said with a smile. Zayn wasn’t just cute he was handsome with his bad boy aura and his deep mysterious personality. His caramel brown eyes gazed at me as it caught in the sunlight.

“Oh, you know just meditating.” I said as Zayn raised his eyebrows at me in a disbelieving expression.

“You know how to meditate?” Zayn said squinting at me.

“I can show you if you want to.” I said going into position.

“Sure.” Zayn said mimicking my stance. He took off his shoes and came up beside me. His smell wafted through my senses a mixture of his cologne and something else that smelled entirely good. I smiled at him and straightened my back.

“Close your eyes.” I said in a soothing voice. “And picture a ray of sunshine shinning down the crown of your head.”

“Exactly how long have you been doing this?” Zayn said smiling down at me.

“It may sound funny but it helps.” I said covering his eyes and forcing them to close gently. He smirked and straightened his back.

“I look ridiculous.” Zayn muttered but he took a deep breath and exhaled. I watched his relaxed features rise up and down from his deep breaths. Why did I have to fall in love with Harry when I could’ve been with Zayn?

“I can feel you looking at me.” He muttered.

“Sorry, you look so fascinating when you’re meditating.” I whispered Zayn popped open one eye and winked at me.

“Sophie?”After a few minutes Zayn opened his eyes and relaxed his posture.

“Hmmm?” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“If hypothetically, someone asks you out on a date would you say yes?” Zayn asked. I thought about it for a moment.

“I don’t know Zayn, maybe I’m not ready yet but it depends on who’s asking me.” I said shrugging. Zayn nodded his head.

“Hypothetically that someone was your brother’s band mate and a friend of your ex, what would you say?” He asked again.

“Is this hypothetical someone by chance named Zayn Malik, Niall Horan, or Liam Payne?” I asked leaning forward. Zayn blushed and looked away. I was guessing it was him.

“Ummm, is this a bad time?” He said giving me a sheepish look. I pursed my lips and nodded.

“Kind of I just don’t want to get hurt again Zayn.” I said looking down. This was all moving too fast. Though the two of us have an attraction I was determined not to fall head over heels this time.

“Listen, Sophie I’m not pressuring you into anything.” He said taking my chin in his hand and tilting my head up.

“Zayn I—“ I shook my chin from his head and got up. He dropped his hand awkwardly at his side and sighed.

“Look Sophie this was a bad idea. I should’ve known you wouldn’t—“ Zayn shook his head and started for the door.

“Wait! I didn’t mean it like that Zayn. I like you I really do but can we just take it slow?” I said. Ready or not I was here I couldn’t back out now. This was Zayn and any girl would be lucky to get him. Zayn smiled at me and crossed the room.

“I’m not going to hurt Sophie.” He said taking my hand. I saw the sincerity in his eyes. Zayn might look like a bad boy deep inside I knew he wasn’t going to hurt me the way Harry did.

“Promise.” I whispered hoarsely.

“I promise you that the day I go down on one knee for another girl.” He paused and looked at me.” Is the day I tie the shoelaces of our daughter.”

HARRY**

“So let me get this straight.” Niall said. “You gave up on her?”

“I didn’t give up on her. I let her go because that’s what she really wanted.” I said. We were in my room again playing some cards that Niall found.

“So in other words you chickened out.” Niall said shaking his head in disapproval.

“Look Niall, you may look at this as some kind of fairy tale but it’s not.” I said fishing out a card from the stack.

“That’s because you and Sophie are better than fairy tale.” He said confidently. Tomorrow we were going to Australia and then to Europe. I heard Sophie talking about her Europe trip when she first came here. I just hoped she wouldn’t hop out of the bus to leave us.

“I appreciate the confidence in us Niall but no, we’re not a fairy tale we’re a reality.” I said. Someone knocked at the door and Liam poked in.

“Hey guys whatcha doin’?” He let himself in and plopped down on the mattress.

“Umm, nothing just playing cards and all that stuff.” Niall said waving his cards at Liam. Liam gave us both the look. He always knew when one of us we’re keeping secrets.

“What’s going on with the two of you?” Liam said sternly. Niall and I both looked at each other and did a little mental tag. Finally Niall sighed.

“We’re trying to get Sophie and Harry back together.” Niall said. Liam stared at us for a moment and gaped.

“I thought the two of you we’re planning some sort of party but this?” Liam said totally surprised.

“Niall thought of it.” I said pointing at Niall.

“Hey! You went along with it!” Niall said pointing back at me. Liam rolled his eyes and sighed at the two of us.

“Guys, please.” Liam sighed. “Harry you do not want to do this. Stop playing with Sophie!”

“I’m not playing with Sophie!” I said. I can’t believe Liam thought I was this big a jerk!

“Then why are you doing this?” Liam said almost screaming.

“Because! I still love her and I probably always will!” I said sighing in defeat. Liam and Niall looked at me and back at each other.

“It’s okay Harry I’m sure she’s probably having a hard time getting over you too.” Niall said. Liam nodded and smiled at me.

“Yea, because right now Zayn is making a move on her.” Liam said pursing his lips.

“What?!?!” Niall and I said in unison. Liam nodded and gave me a pat in the back.