chapter 39

SOPHIE

I stared open mouthed at Zayn as he leaned away from me. Holy cow Zayn just kissed me! I looked at Harry who also had a surprised expression on his face. He shook his head and his expression changed to anger I pleaded with my eyes for him to understand that I didn’t have anything to do with what happened. He looked at me with cold dark eyes and back at Zayn without saying a word he stalked away and slammed the car door behind him. I wanted to go after him but I knew it wouldn’t be a smart move considering Zayn just kissed me.

“Sophie?” Zayn said tilting my chin towards him. “Are you okay?” He said. I nodded and smiled at him.

“That was a bit surprising.” I said forcing myself to smile.

“I was trying to be spontaneous.” He said. This was waaayyy awkward but if Zayn felt it he didn’t acknowledge it. I broke free from his grasp and took a step backwards.

“That’s nice but ummm, we should go.” I said motioning to the car where an angry Harry was. He took my hand and together we opened the car door.

“Well that took a while.” Harry muttered when we climbed inside.

“Sorry bro we just had to talk a bit.” Zayn said looking sheepish. Harry just rolled his eyes and told the driver to go.

“Sorry about that Harry.” I said blushing furiously. He looked at me and gave a light nod not saying anything. Great we’re we back to ignoring each other again?

“I’m sorry we had to leave you guys. It was just crazy all of a sudden a mob of girls started running towards us.” Zayn said motioning with his hands. I could tell the experience wasn’t pleasant.

“I hope no one got hurt.” I said. Zayn shook his head.

“Fortunately we all survived. Except for Liam who had to dive in a half open car window to get in. But all in all we’re fine.” Zayn smiled and bobbed his head up and down.

“Where are the guys now?” Harry asked. We were sitting across each other again but this time he was in the far side of the car while we were on the other. We literally had to turn our heads sideways just to see him.

“They’re in the RV recuperating.” Zayn said. After a couple of minutes of awkward silence and slight jostling from the car Zayn cleared his throat.

“Uh, so what did you guys do after we left?” He asked. Harry and I looked at each other. We shared something magical back there but of course I couldn’t possibly tell that to Zayn. I didn’t want to break anymore hearts. When Harry shrugged it took that as a sign that he was abandoning the conversation.

“Uh, we strolled around the park with our bikes.” I said simply. Zayn nodded and looked out the window on his left since I was seated by the closest one. There will never be a future with me and Zayn because… there was no magic. The fact was I could’ve chosen Zayn the first time I was here but I didn’t I chose Harry.

“Barcelona is the last stop in our tour.” Zayn said.

“We’re going to shoot a campaign there right?” I asked.

“Yep.” Zayn said popping the p on the end. After a couple of minutes we rolled to a stop in front of the RV. The minute the car stopped Harry opened the door and ran up to the RV. I watched his retreating form and went up the RV too. Maybe it was time to set things straight with Zayn. It wasn’t right for him and for me.

“Hey Sophie!” Eleanor hugged me the minute I stepped to the door.

“Hi, guys. What happened to you, are you all right?” I gazed arund the room at the tired faces of one direction.

“Yea, we’re all right sorry we had to leave you there Sophie.” Liam said. Zayn climbed inside the RV and plopped down on the couch.

“Where’s Harry?” Zayn craned his neck and searched the room.

“He stormed to his room the minute he got here.” Niall said pointing down the hall to Harry’s room. Louie yawned and stretched like a cat.

“I’m glad the tour is going to end.” Louie yawned again. “I miss hanging out in London.” Eleanor smiled at Louie and sat down next to him.

“The real question is what we’re all going to do after this. We’ll be getting a few months off.” Liam said, the others nodded as if in agreement.

HARRY

I wanted to punch Zayn or something, anything just to get this anger out of me. I hated this. I hated being that guy who pines for the girl but never gets her back because of one stupid, immature, drunken mistake. I guess fate wasn’t on our side. Now Sophie can be happy with Zayn at least I know it’s not just some random bloke she met at school or in star bucks. Maybe I should take some time off after the tour. We weren’t going to do anything and it was tradition to get at least a few months off from tour. Someone knocked on the door persistently. No, I didn’t want any company right now I needed to be alone. But apparently the other person behind the door didn’t agree with me. The door opened and Niall came inside with a plate full of French fries.

“Niall get out.” I told him without glancing up I was lying on my bed and I didn’t want anyone to disturb me.

“Harry what’s going on? Did something happen back there?” Niall asked through a mouthful of fries. I sat up the edge of my bed and looked at him.

“Sophie deserves better than me.” I said sternly.

“What do you mean?” Niall popped in another fry in his mouth and chewed loudly.

“She and Zayn kissed in the park in front of me.” I muttered. Niall set down his plate and patted me on the back.

“Harry, it’s okay.” Niall said. I shook my head and sighed covering my face with a pillow.

“No it’s not they’re really hitting it on. So yea, I’m happy for both of them.” I gave Niall a loop sided smile.

“Come on, you’re Harry Styles!” Niall said getting up and throwing his hands in the air.

“And he’s Zayn Malik I can’t compete with that! We’re band mates!” I said rolling my eyes at Niall. He plunked down the chair and reached for his fries.

“Harry, love is not a checklist.” Niall offered me some fries which I refused.

“Niall, I’m thinking about taking a few months off after the tour.” I leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees. Niall stopped chewing for a minute and looked at me.

“Like, quit the band?!?!” Niall said nearly shouting.

“No! Just vacation god Horan calm down!” I said laughing. He rolled his eyes and glared at me.

“Where will you go? And what if we get a gig or something?” Niall said.

“I don’t really know. I just need some time alone to think things through and maybe let go.” I sighed. I hope the rest of the gang would understand. I wasn’t quitting on them. Sometimes you just have to take some time for yourself.

“I guess we can’t do anything about it then.” Niall got up ready to leave.

“What time is our flight tomorrow?” I asked gazing up at Niall.

“About 8 in the morning.” He said going out the door.