chapter 37

“Okay everyone in the car!” Liam said opening the door of the RV. We we’re sitting on the sofa waiting for our ride to come.

“I call shotgun!” Louie said running ahead of us and into the car. We smirked and slowly descended the stairs. Harry still wasn’t speaking with me for some reason. Whenever I looked at him he averted his gaze and pretended to be busy with something.

“Sophie?” Eleanor said snapping her fingers in front of me. I shook my head and smiled at her.

“Yea?” I said trying not to sound distracted. We piled into the car with Eleanor at my left and Zayn on my right. Liam, Niall, and Harry seated in front of me.

“You sound distracted.” She said grasping my hand.

“I’m just nervous about the recording. I haven’t actually been to one.” I hoped that the lie sounded convincing enough. Zayn grabbed my hand and intertwined it with his.

“It’s going to be okay Sophie.” He gave me one of his reassuring smiles that just made you melt. That was just Zayn and although he was everything a girl could want I was getting the feeling that he wasn’t what I wanted.

“Hey guys after the recording could we go biking?” Niall said while gazing out Australia. It was beautiful, thick trees lining the road and everything was just so sunny. Louie fake gasped on the front seat and turned around to face us.

“Is this real or did Niall Horan just voluntarily went into a workout?” Louie said glancing at Niall. Niall turned to him and pushed him back on his chair playfully.

“Biking would be good.” Zayn said still smiling from the two. He looked at me and winked silently sending me a message.

“Yea, I think I’ll pass.” Harry muttered looking at Zayn and me holding hands.

“What?!?No!” Liam, Niall, Zayn and Louie said all at once. Eleanor and I smirked. The boys acted a bit childish sometimes. The boys whined at Harry and pleaded for him to go with us.

“Come on curly! We could be bike mates!” Louie said shaking Harry’s shoulders. Harry rolled his eyes and sighed.

“Fine! Fine!” Harry said putting up his hands.

“Yes!” The boys fist pumped the air and grinned like idiots. After a couple of minutes of driving we stopped at a fancy building in what I assumed was central Sydney. The boys opened the door and climbed out.

“We’re here, we’re here!” Louie said jumping up and down and opening the door of us.

“We know Louie.” Liam said rolling his eyes Louie just stuck his tongue out at him. Zayn came up beside me and walked with me upstairs.

“First single.” Zayn said to me.

“Yea, and with one direction, too.” I smiled at him as we took the stairs slowly. The other boys we’re already upstairs while Louie and Eleanor chatted for a bit a few steps behind us.

“That’s kinda big.” He said we reached the end of the stairs and walked down a series of hallways. When we reached the recording booth Zayn stopped and opened it for me.

“Definitely huge.” I said as I scanned around the recording studio. It was my first time inside one so I was a bit fascinated.

“So, Sophie do you want to be my bike buddy later?” Zayn said smiling at me sweetly.

“Sure.” I said. When we got inside we we’re surprised to see Simon Cowell sitting in one of the chairs byt the controls.

“Hi Uncle Simon.” Zayn said waving at him. I didn’t know what to do or say. I didn’t even know what to call him obviously I couldn’t call him Uncle but Mister or Sir would just be too formal. So I just stood there with Zayn’s hand at the small of my back.

“So this is the famous Sophie Tomlinson.” Simon had a hand on his chin and I suddenly understood what the contestants from X factor felt like.

“Nice to meet you Mr. Cowell.” I moved forward and shook his out stretched hand.

“So is this your first time in a recording studio?” He said as Louie and Eleanor piled in. Louie waved at him and he and Zayn went inside the booth where the rest of the band was.

“Uh, yes sir.” I said smiling. He nodded and gestured for me inside. Once I was inside the boys ushered me to the piano.

“Okay one-two-one-two-three four!” Louie said raising his hands up in a countdown. The music sounded inside the booth and vibrated outside.

A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER

“You’re a natural at this Sophie.” Simon said as we listened to the finished product. I smiled and blushed lightly. It wasn’t everyday you get a compliment from the Simon Cowell.

“Uncle why are you here exactly?” Louie said leaning against a chair.

“I had some business in Australia and decided to come to your recording.” He said. Simon was a pretty serious man but I sensed a kindness in him. “Where will you go after this?” He said.

“Oh, we’re going biking.” Niall said smiling.

“That’s nice, just remember.” He said looking at us and Harry. “Your duties, we can’t risk another press story.” Great I was going to get stuck with ice King again.

“I have to go with Sophie?” Harry said. Well that wasn’t nice, he acted as if I had some kind of sickness he didn’t want to get. Simon looked at him and nodded.

“Do you have any problem with that Harry?” He said sternly. Harry shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

“Well then maybe we should go now!” Liam said enthusiastically.

“Take care boys oh and take Paul with you.” He said. Paul cocked his head and smiled at us. When we went outside and got back in the car Paul was the one driving us.

“Hi Paul nice to see you again.” I smiled at him through the mirror.

“Nice to see you too Sophie.”  He said smiling back at me. Louie started humming softly and the other boys we’re clearly excited too.

“Sophie, are you going to be okay on your own?” Eleanor whispered to me I nodded and squeezed her knee. We opted for a park far from the City so there would be less people around.

“Okay boys.” Paul started then caught sight of me and Eleanor. “And girls Simon said Harry and Sophie had to be seen together first then you could do whatever you like.”

“Damn it!” Harry said angrily pushing the car door open. He was really starting to get on my nerves.

“See you in twenty minutes Sophie.” Zayn said as he got out of the car. Once all of us we’re out and the car was parked. We just stood there, as predicted there weren’t many people around and most of them we’re couples so they weren’t really expected to go fangirl. Then Louie grabbed hold of Eleanor’s hand and ran for the direction of the bikes. The other boys ran too and I ended up beside Harry.

“So, do you know how to bike?” I said as we walked towards the bike stand. The other lads we’re already cycling ahead and going around the park.

“Sophie, let’s not do this, okay? I’m still not ready for a platonic relationship with you.” He said as we reached the stand.

“Come one Harry it isn’t fair how you’re treating me. Can’t we just be friends?” I said as I planted my foot on the ground and we came to a stop. Harry sighed and looked at me for a moment.

“Fine, but I won’t promise I’ll be any good at it.” He said as he reached for a bike and strolled it towards me. He gave the handles to me and got another one for his own.

“Thanks.” I said smiling at him. At least he wasn’t ignoring me anymore.

“Race you to the cluster of trees over there.” Harry said jumping on his bike and pedaling away.

“Hey! No fair!” I said jumping on mine as well.