chapter 33

The car stopped in a rustic town with a big enough grocery store. Harry and I jumped out of the bus silently and put up our hoods and glasses on. 

“We are going to shoooopppp!” I sang to myself. Harry heard me and snorted a little.

“Weird. I haven’t been to the grocery store in forever.” Harry muttered.

“That’s because you’re a superstar now.” I said with a smile. I was determined to put the past behind me although it was painful I had to face the fact that Harry was going to be in my life whether I liked it or not. 

“Superstars do a grocery run.” He said with a snort. We reached the supermarket and Harry opened the door for me. It wasn’t as impressive as Wal-Mart but I could tell the supermarket had all we needed and more. 

“Unless they want to get mobbed.” Sophie muttered.

“That’s the whole reason for the hoodie and the glasses.” I said.

“You’re hair is still sticking out.” Sophie pointed. This was the Sophie I knew the fun loving Sophie that captured my heart. She came up behind me and started tucking in some loose strands.

“Good enough.” Harry said with a shrug.

“What do we need?” I said. Harry fished out a list from his pocket and opened it. The list was long, so long it dropped to the floor looks like we were going to stay here for a while.

“Whoah, these are all from Niall.” Harry said looking at the list. “White pickles? Red lemons?” Harry read out loud.

“What the hell is a white pickle?” I said coming up beside him and reading the items in the list.

“How the hell are we going to get all these in time?”  I said. The closeness the two of us shared was a bit over powering. I felt the heat coming off his arm and suddenly felt self conscious.

“I don’t know.” He whispered. Since I was a couple of inches shorter I felt Harry’s eyes at the back of my head. I turned around and came eye to eye with him. Two globes of green-blue eyes stared back at me.

“I missed you.” Harry’s voice resounded through me it was hoarse and thick of emotion. But then I remembered the same voice on the phone the hoarse drunken voice that broke my heart. I snapped my head back and stepped away from Harry.

“We should really get going now.” I said grabbing the list from Harry and a basket on the way.

HARRY**

I snapped out of my reverie and followed after Sophie. For a moment there I could see her forgiving me then her eyes lost that spark and turned sad. I could see now just how much I’ve hurt this girl. And maybe I had no right to go ahead and try to win her back after all that I did.

“I’m so sorry Sophie.” I said jogging after her. She busied herself with the items while looking at the rack for a match.

“It was nothing.” She muttered as she picked up a bottle of ketchup from a shelf.

“Yea, nothing.” I said nodding my head. Wait, that was definitely not nothing I stopped in my tracks as I inhaled sharply. Sophie walked a couple of steps ahead of me.

“Wait Sophie, that wasn’t a nothing.” I said sternly. Sophie turned around and sighed.

“Listen Harry, the two of us are never going to happen again.” Sophie said. I crossed the room in a couple of steps and stopped in front of her.

“Sophie there are a lot of stupid things I did but the thing I regret the most was hurting you.” I caressed her cheek with the back of my hand. Sophie closed her eyes for a bit and leaned into my hand.

“Harry I-“ She shook her head but I stopped her with a finger against her lips.

“Do me a favor.” She nodded her head. “If you’re never going to forgive me give me one last kiss.” I said Sophie’s eyes snapped open.

“What if I want to forgive you?” She whispered back. 

“Then turn around right now.” I looked at her directly in the eye. In my mind I saw her walking away with a smile on her face but she stayed rooted to the ground. My heart was beating faster I wanted to kiss her but I wanted her to walk away.

“I’m not going to walk away because I’m never going to forgive you.” She said in a small sincere voice. I faltered and looked at the ground. Suddenly tears pooled into my eyes. I was never a crier but with Sophie I was a different guy.

“At least I’ll get one last kiss, right?” I inhaled sharply and wiped the tears from my eyes.

“Last one.” Sophie nodded. 

“Here it goes.” I cupped her face with both hands and gazed at her deep blue eyes. Slowly I leaned into her and touched her lips with mine. It was everything I remembered. Her lips were just as soft and luscious and I loved the way it curved and molded against mine. Suddenly everything around me went into a halt and all that mattered was the girl of my dreams. I wrapped one hand on her hip and drew her closer to me.

“Harry.” She gasped in between kisses “Stop”. She put her hands on my chest and pushed me gently.

“I guess this is over then.” I said gazing at her pouting lips. She nodded and looked at the ground

“It’s been nice being with you Harry.” She said. We stared at each other for a minute. After all those months of shared memories it was over.

“We should get back to the grocery.” I pursed my lips and smiled.

“That’s a great idea.” She turned around and went back to reading the paper. I wasn’t giving up with the whole get back with her idea but if you love someone set them free.

“Hey Sophie.” I called after her.

“Yes?” She turned back and looked at me.

“Can we be friends? I know it’s kind of awkward but you know—“ The rest faded off in a kind of awkward silence.

“It’s not as if I have a choice Styles.” She said and motioned me forward.

“Okay let’s do the shopping.” I said as I read the next item on the god damn list. After a half hour more we finally got at least half of the items on the list. Some like Niall’s ridiculous white pickles were forgotten.

“Here let me get the bags.” I said as I grabbed two of the white bulging grocery bags from her. She pushed open the door with her hip and an instant blast of cold air rushed in. When we came outside a million flashing bulbs greeted us.

“Harry! Sophie! What were you doing in there?” Someone shouted. I locked gazed with Sophie and urgently guided her forward.

“Harry! Here! Here!” a paparazzo said. We kept walking until we reached the RV. Zayn instantly opened the door and helped us up. 

“Whoah, that was total chaos.” Sophie said and brought the grocery bags down.

“What took you guys so long?” Niall asked.

“Why don’t you ask whoever put white pickles and red lemons on the list?” I said to him. He just smiled and gave me a wink.