chapter 23

I heard the distinct call of the crowd as they cheered the boys forward. All five of them were ready to go and were just waiting for the right cue to get things going. It was going to be my last night with the one direction, and I’m ending things with a bang. Harry glanced back at me and seeing how I nervously chewed on my lip as I gazed at the crowd he came up beside me and slid his hand to mine.

“Hey, look at me, don’t get nervous luv, we’re all here for you.” He cast me a winning smile. Seeing it was absolutely necessary to reassure him I smiled back half heartedly. He laughed at my effort and drew me into his arms.

“They’re going to hate me.” I said voicing my fears. Harry chuckled and kissed the top of my head and hugged me tightly.

“I’ve seen you play, and I heard you sing. You’re equally as talented as we are.” Harry said.

“She got it from me!” Louis called after the two of us. We both looked up from our embrace and smirked at Louis. You can always count on my brother to lighten the mood.

“Niall, tell you what, I’m going to bet my breakfast that someone will flash Harry again tonight.” Louis said a thoughtful hand on his chin. Niall at the mention of food perked up and clasped Louis on the back.

“Make it two breakfasts and I’ll think about it.” Niall said intently. We all laughed at the silly banter, whatever Loui was up to it surely helped ease out the turmoil in my stomach. I sighed as Paul called the boys on stage.

“Make me proud.” I whispered to him as I kissed his cheek lightly.

“This is it! California!” Zayn said rubbing his palms together and doing a little jog.

“See you on stage Soph!” Liam called as they rounded the corner and entered the stage. Five and a half songs later Paul came up beside me and beckoned me forward it was a good thing my ankle was completely healed now or else I’d end up looking like a fool on stage.

“Now we have a little surprise for all of you…” I heard Louis start to say and the other boys chimed in other comments as well. I breathed in deeply and prepared myself for the brightness and the noise that was to come.

“She’s my little sister and I’d ask you to be nice to her just once. I love her dearly.” Oh Louis, damn his over protective tendencies. Right now I wanted to smack him in the head with an iron and cut his balls in half. Thankfully one of the boys interjected and they all laughed.

“Give it up for the very lovely, very talented, Louis Tomlinson’s most precious treasure, Sophia Tomlinson!” Niall said. I always loved the way he had a knack in announcing things.

“You can do this Sophie, we all believe in you.” Paul said patting me on the back as I took two steps ahead of me and burst into brightness. I waved at the crowd as I adjusted to the bright spotlight over head. Glancing ahead of me I could easily tell that they were thousand if not millions of screaming girls vying for their attention.

“Hi,guys!” I called clutching the microphone to my chest. I stopped in the middle of the stage where the boys we’re standing and they each welcomed me with a pat in the back and a hug or two.

“Well, this is Sophia, lovely isn’t she?” Liam said putting a hand on my shoulder as he spoke. The crowd cheered again.

“Tonight, she will be singing with us a brand new song we’ve co written with her.” Zayn said next. Harry came up beside me and put a hand on my waist. I instantly tensed up, the comments on twitter flooding into my mind. Was I good enough for Harry Styles?

“But first, a couple of questions from twitter!” Louis said. The crowd made a noise that could only resemble a very loud echoed scream. Niall pressed a remote he took from the couch stationed in the middle and clicked open the screen.

“First question… Can you guys all do the gangnam style?” Niall read squinting. For a second they all looked at each other and shrugged.

“Oh, you know you can do it Niall, you’ve seen the  video at least a hundred times.” I said with a laugh. Niall raised his hands defensively and laughed.

“You’re not safe on this one too missy, you’re dancing with us.” Harry said pulling me into the line they created.

“Okay, ready on three!” Liam said as we all put down our mikes and the DJ blasted the famous PSY song. I tried my best to keep up with the moves but it was rather difficult. And Louis, being his adventurous funny self decided to do the running man when he couldn’t keep up with the song. I glanced at my left and Liam was already doing the Macarena but Niall was still dancing. The song ended and we all burst into laughter. If I had known it would be this easy I wouldn’t have spent so much time in anxiety.

“Told you Niall could bust a move.” I said smiling at his flushed cheeks.

“Next question!” Louis began, “Is Harry and Sophie dating?” There was a moment of silence that transpired between us. Louis looked at me and then to Harry and waited for any indication of what he should do.

“Ummm, I think maybe the question came a little out of hand.” Zayn said coming to the rescue.

“No, no, we’ll answer the question.” Harry said. I looked at him and he nodded casting me a smile.

“Yes, I believe we are dating.” I said still not looking away from his eyes. The other boys stood very still for a second and waited for the crowd’s reaction. So few announcements have been made in a very public manner and there was a possibility that the crowd wouldn’t take it well.

“Okay, so I bet you got a little treat coming here tonight.” Liam said with a laugh. “Now, it’s time for out new song.” The crowd cheered happily again. We all got into position and the lights dimmed. A piano was placed in front of me and I dutifully hopped in. I forgot about the relentless crowd, forgot about the blazing spotlight and forgot about everything around me and just concentrated on my music.

“This one’s for you Sophie.” Harry murmured against the microphone. I looked up at him with surprise and an instant blush came into my cheeks. The song was slow, and I could tell that the crowd was wooed. It was about love, misery, heartache and getting back up. Liam had the most to contribute. When Harry sang out the last words the crowd went still and we all tensed. Will they like it? Just then all of the people on the stadium began to stand up and cheer madly. One direction got a standing ovation.

“Wow, thank you guys, we’re very honored.” Zayn said smiling. The song was vulnerable and I could tell while they were singing it the words were close to their heart.

“But, we should all thank Sophia Tomlinson, for giving us that song.” Niall said. Harry came up beside me and offered me his hand, I took it dutifully. He placed me at the middle of the stage where the crowds cheered. I did a little curtsy and did flew them kisses. The boys crowded around me and gave me a group hug squeezing me to death.

“Thank you guys for everything.” I said almost teary eyed “To my big brother who sometimes is a pain in the ass, to Niall who chose me over food on several occasions, to Zayn who always comforted me, to Liam who made sure nothing went crazy but most importantly to Harry who made this tour the best I ever had.” Harry came up beside me and pulled me into a hug.

“I’m going to miss you terribly.” He whispered against my ear. The other boys hugged me again tightly. And the crowd gave a heartwarming ‘awwwww’.