Part 45

General POV

Three days later, Jana and Jay woke up to the most dreadful sound coming from one of the bathrooms. Both of the spring out of there beds and meet one an other half way to where the noise is coming from, they look to each other in confusion and realise it must be Hailey. Jay slams the bathroom door open and reviels Hailey kneeling down on the floor, with her head over the toilet. "God Hailey" Jana whispers in shock, she has seen morning sickness before, but not to this level. Jay holds Haileys long wavey hair back and slowly rubs her back, receiving an elbow of unappreciation in return from Hailey. "Sorry" Jay grones in pain from the elbow to the stomach. "I'll get her some water" Jana says, before skidding across the hard wood floor to the kitchen area and pouring a cold glass of water. Hailey slumps herself against the bath, catching her breath and leaning into Jays side. "Sorry I woke you" Hailey apologises, once again, thinking about others before herself. "It's okay, not your fault" Jay replies, taking the glass of water of Jana. "Thanks sweetie" Hailey weekly smiles up to Jana. "Hails, you're shaking like mad" Jay says with concern, gathering her hands in his to try and stop the shaking. "It's just becuase I've been sick. We should get ready, we have to take Jana to school remember before work" Hailey surfaces from the floor, pushing past Jana in the door, to the kitchen and starts pouring cereal. "Is Hails always this lively in the morning?" Jana questions to her older brother, whom is also still half asleep like her. "Yep. Lets go" Jay spins Janas body around and playfully pushes her out the bathroom door, smiling at the giggle Jana lets off. "Jay bullying you already" Hailey smirks, placing two bowls of cinnamon crunch next to each other at the island bar and a glass of coffee and juice. "Have you seen the age gap between us? She's ten and I'm thirty-two, if I bully her then there is something wrong" Jay defends himself, helping a very short Jana onto an island stool. "You definitely don't get your height from the Halstead side" Hailey smiles, seeing Jay help his younger sister onto her seat. "I don't wanna go to school, the heating went kerput yesterday and it's freezing" Jana protests, hoping the heating exuse will get the unexperienced parents to let her off school. "Put an extra layer on. You know what, I have a thermal vest and pair of socks for you" Hailey says, not falling for the exact same exuse she used to use when she was a kid. "Lesson number one kiddo. When lying to two detectives, make sure your exuse isn't one they've heard a million times and one, like this, they haven't used themselves" Jay chuckles. Jana lets out a sigh of annoyance and rolls her eyes dramatically, face planting the island in a strop. "AY, don't think missy, stop! You strop, you run up and down the apartment block stairs three times" Jay warns sternly, lifting Janas head up off the island top. "Understand?" Jay questions. "Yes" Jana replies, getting her first taste of true boundaries and punishment. "Good, now go get dressed if you've finished" Jay says. Hailey shakes her head at Jay in disapproval, not impressed with the way Jay handled Janas small strop. Jay gives Hailey a What, I'm not putting up with that. She is ten look and returns to finishing his cereal.

*****

Two hours later, Hailey and Jay open the second set of doors to the district, still arguing over the way Jay handled his sisters strop earlier on. The rest of the team, just behind them, descide to hang back and not catch up with the couple, not wanting to have to pick sides on this argument. "YO, CHILD NUMBER ONE AND CHILD NUMBER TWO, OVER HERE" Platt yells, silencing the entire district. The couple glare at each other and dawdle over to the front desk. "Stop the arguing. As soon as you open the first set of doors, home life doesn't matter. Bicker about punishment styles before and after work, not at work" Platt wacks them boty over the head with a file and waves them off for them to go to work. "Trouble in paradise" Antonio hung back from the rest of the group and keeps the gate open for the couple- mostly because he wanted to listen to Platt tell the couple off. "Shut up" Hailey frowns, storming up the steps infront of Jay. Antonio looks to Jay to see what's up and he gives a shurg of dispare, completely stumped to what to do about the row. Only once have the two ever bickered and that was over a case, which Voight quickly put a stop to. "Welcome to life living with a woman" Antonio smirks, as they separate to their desks. "Really? Now you are blabbing your mouth to Antonio" Hailey snaps, really cheesed off with Jay now. "Hormones" Jay quietly sings under his breath, making a massive rookie mistake. "Ouch" The whole team hiss, knowing there is only one way this is going to end now Jay has said the dreaded word. "Hailey chill and Jay, never say that word to a pregant woman. EVER." Voight gets between the two, calming the row before Hailey completely blows and lobs something at Jay. "GUYS, WE HAVE AN ACTIVE SHOOTING AT CASEYS MIDDLE SCHOOL!" Kevin yells, getting hanging up on a call he just took. Hailey and Jay go sick pale and look to each other...that's the school Jana goes to. "Jana's there" Jay says, horror crossing his face. They all scramble down the stairs and gear up. In record braking time, they are all geard up and speeding through the icy streets of Chicago.

*****

The team cluster together around a board that S.W.A.T has already gotten prepared before the teams arrival. The S.W.A.T Sargent, walks the team through were the shooter has already been and could possibly heading too. A pattern seems to be occurring, eight grade five classroom and all exept two have been hit. No other classrooms have been touched, the MO is very clear. "This is payback for an adult who knows someone in Fifth Grade" Adam says, "which class rooms have been hit already?" Jay asks, worried for Janas safety. "Room: One, Two and Five" A S.W.A.T member replies, putting her helmet on. "Jana's in four. What's the deal then, what is the plan?" Hailey asks, ready and raring to go. "Each of your team, partner up with one of mine" The S.W.A.T Sargent ordered, and they all started mingling and sorting into pairs. "Not so quick Hailey" Voight puts a holt to Hailey trying to sneek her way in, not even if the Queen of England was in there would Voight let her in. Hailey doesn't protest and stands back, watching them all run in an orderly fashion into the school. "Please let Jana be okay" Hailey prays, crossing every single limb she has.