Part 35

General POV

The couple freeze in shock to what Charles just said, both continuing to stare at Charles with gauped expressions- Jay looking as if he's about to have a stroke. "Pregnancy test" Charles repeats, amused by the bewildered look on both their faces. "Yeh, we heard what you said. Why the hell a pregnancy test? We were careful" Hailey asks, her voice strangely high as a result of shock horror. "The mood swings and lack off appetite. You do have PTDS, like I previously explained, although I'm pretty sure it's down to you being pregnant partly" Charles explains further, suprised at how they ended up pregant like they have. "I can't be....Jay and I haven't been together more than two weeks! We were careful!" Hailey denies again, looking to Jay for help- he is in no fit state to help Hailey out. "I'm sorry to drop it on you like this. How about, you go home, sit on it and do a test tomorrow or later in the day" Charles suggests, feeling terrible for the pair. "Yeh, okay. Thankyou Doctor" Jay nodds, standing up alongside Hailey. "Bye" Charles waves, sitting back in his chair and letting of a huge sigh.

*****

surrounded by chaos and loud noise in a café, Hailey and Jay sit in silence. Fiddling with a serviette each, both Hailey and Jay ponder on their thoughts, each of them trying to figure out their feelings to if Hailey is pregnant. "Do you want to be?" Hailey asks, intregued to Jay's thoughts on being a father. "If you are, it really isn't an option" Jay replies, his expressions completely non-existent and feelings truly jumbled up. "Yeh" Hailey sighs in defeat. Every time things begin to start feeling normal, something pops up and rocks the boat for Jay and Hailey. A plain sailing life, plus Jay and Hailey don't seem to mix well. "Please don't take this the wrong way, but is there a chance- if you are pregant- that it isn't mine?" Jay questions, not caring if its his or Nates or not, out of curiosity. No matter if its his or Nates, Jay vows to be an amazing father to the possible little sprog. "I...I don't know. The test will say how many weeks I am if I am pregnant" Hailey replies, her eyes becoming crytalised from the tears emerging. "Hey, Hails, it doesn't matter to me" Jay says, taking Haileys trembling hands into his from across the table. "What? It doesn't matter to you?" Hailey choacks in suprisment, shocked to how selfless and bonevolent Jay is. "No. Anyone can be a dad, it takes a real man to be a father" Jay raises his eyebrows, holding his breath with nervs to what Hailey is thinking. Two weeks in a relationship (aprox), the thought of moving in together permanently hasn't even crossed their minds, never mind having children together! "Thankyou" Hailey smiles, so completely head over heals for Jay. Hailey opens and closes her mouth, as if she was about to say something but decided against it. "What?" Asks Jay, wanting to know what's racing through Hailey's mind. "Can we get a test now? I can't settle until I know either way" Hailey questions. Jay can see Hailey is already getting tetchy and restless now, by the end of the day he knows she will be climbing the walls. "Yeh, lets go" Jay nodds, passing Hailey's coat over to her at the other side of the table.

****

The timer set. Ten minutes. Ten minutes until Hailey and Jay find out if they are about to become parents or not. Hailey paces back and forth relentlessly, not stopping for anything. The way she is going, Jay is preparing to help her pay for a new bathroom floor. "I...I can't be a mum, I can't" Hailey stammers, looking Jay in the eyes, her eyes being flooded with trepidation. "Hails, lets just see what the test says and cross that bridge when we get there" Jay grabbs Hailey by the shoulders, pulling her closer to him and starts singing. Her not expecting it, will definitely distract her and it does. She bursts out laughing at Jay's dreadful signing and the complete unexpectancy of it. "Feel the beat to the tamberine, ooo yeeeeeh" Jay screeches, spinning Hailey around in a circle. Admiration, joy and warmth saturates the bathroom, the two of them completely going for it. All worries and dreads vanish into mind air and it's like being seventeen again, not having a care in the world and completely oblivious to the outisde world. Then it ends, the moment of happiness is interupted by the beeping of the timer. Hailey and Jay both gulp, freezing at the sound. "Go on, you got this" Jay smiles encouragingly, gently pushing Hailey to get her to move. "Jay!" Hailey exhales, turning around with the test still in her hands. "What?" Jay asks all flustered, not being able to pick out the key emotion in Hailey's voice and expressions very well.