Task Eight: Seasons Change/F - GhostOfTheIceberg [4]

District 10 Female - HOLLY-NOELLE GARNET [4] 

“Mama? It’s snowing outside… do you want to come play?”

                To this day, I don’t think I’ll ever forget the way I used to run to my mother’s door when the snow would begin to fall, halfway through October. My blood would rush and my heart would pump, full of adrenaline. I’d always been a hyperactive child, though the time I’d spent indoors and alone had never quite allowed me to free that; instead, I’d learned to shut it in and to keep my mouth closed. That was the only way people ever got what they truly wanted in life.

                “Maybe later, dear. I’m working.”

                “But it’s snowing! Do you want to build a snowman with me?”

                Still I’d get the same answer, over and over again. She’d tell me that one day, when I was older, I would understand. And as time passed, and I got a job and hobbies and friends of mine, I did: I understood that she was the kind of person to pretend to be important in the hope of it eventually happening, neglecting all those she loved in the process. I understood that my mother was – though she was a person of perfectly average morals – not a good mother. But that never stopped me from trying.

                “Mama, I’m graduating today. You’re going to show up, right?”

                “Of course, dear; I wouldn’t miss that for the world.”

                That day was one of the days I’d been the happiest in my life. I’d galloped my way to school, both overjoyed by the fact that I was almost done with my education and because my mother had told me she was coming. I’d told Bianca and Blitzen and Kris and even Glacia that everyone would finally get to meet the elusive Brandy Garnet, joint CEO of Garnet toys. But of course, when the time came and I took my diploma, looking into the audience for the smiling face of my father, there was an empty chair right beside him.

                The truth is, I can’t remember a day in my life where my mother was there – not even in the Justice Building, when I was headed off to my probable death. She probably couldn’t care less about any of the things I’ve been through, even though she ought to be proud; I’ve accomplished more than she could ever possibly have dreamed to.

                *

                “When I first woke up from my coma after The Battle of The Bonfire, I was convinced Anastassia had abandoned me. I’d been surrounded by strangers who I knew nothing about, but reunited with a handful of tributes that had been through roughly the same thing as I had. Cutepid had just died in the battle. Plumpkin had not. The fact that she’s still alive, somewhere in this audience, brings me more joy than anything I could ever imagine. After everything that’s happened to the two of us – and Neve, of course, only Plumpkin and I were a team from the start – we understand each other. These events, as horrific as they were at times, formed a bond between us; I’ve always wanted a sister.”

                My voice is shaky, and I know that without the microphone pointed directly under my mouth nobody would be able to hear me. If I had the choice, I would never speak of the events I witnessed during Rudolph’s Rebellion ever again. But the public needs to know even more than I crave to forget, and so I need to tell the story. I was the one who insisted there was a public funeral, in fact; it only made sense for us to show our respects to a great leader, no matter how misguided.