Task Three: Rudolf The Red Nosed Rebel - ☀ Summer Entries ☀

District 4 Male - SOREN AUGUSTINE

Soren stood, barely upright with his eyes glued to a screen. Barely able to comprehend what was happening, he watched as the arena crumbled to the ground. The light from flames reflected in his eyes. He wasn’t really there though. He kept seeing other things, hearing something other than the sound of metal creaking and explosions. 

He grimaced, putting a hand to his head and clinging to his bloody and matted hair as whispering words and screaming people filled his mind. He breathed heavily, trying to stop all the noise. Still standing, curled into himself, he kept watching as fire raged and the sky fell.

“Sit.” The shadowy figure of a woman filled the doorway. She pointed at a chair, waiting until Soren sat. His movements were mechanical in comparison to her grace. “We have a lot to discuss.”

“What happened?” His voice was crusty, weak with confusion. He cleared his throat, repeated himself.

Anastassia smiled coyly. “That’s what we were hoping you could tell us, Mr. Augustine.” Her tone was charismatic but menacing; as though she knew he would spill if she pressed the right buttons. 

He watched her, trying to gauge her intentions but her face remained the same. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Where are the other tributes?” Anastassia asked.

“The other tributes? Don’t you have them?”

Anastassia frowned. “Do you really think I would be asking if I knew, Mr. Ausgustine?”

He shook his head. Really, he still wasn’t thinking clearly. “I could find them, maybe? And bring them back to you?” 

Anastassia considered the offer. “That might be a good idea. It could ensure us of your… loyalty.”

Soren was confused. He’d always been somewhat loyal to the Oppidium. They fed the people and mostly watched out for them. He couldn’t understand why someone wouldn’t be loyal. Sure, the outer districts had a little more trouble in terms of food but at least they got it. “Loyalty?”

“You really are dense, aren’t you? There is a slight rebellion going on. Something about injustice but these people do not know what injustice is. They don’t know what war looks like. We need to bring these people back to the truth before they hurt themselves,” Anstassia said. She placed a hand on Soren’s knee. “I know just what to do with you. That is, if you can prove yourself.”

He nodded. “I will. I promise.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

District 4 Female - OCÈANE BLACKWATER 

My eyes flickered open, only to see new surroundings. Seats were placed in a circle, surrounding a circulate dish. The arena was there, falling to pieces. The dome was crumbling. I placed my arms to side of the chair, only noticing that I could not see one of them.

Looking to my left, I noticed that my arm has been cut off. Dried blood surrounded the cut and it had been cleaned. The room was empty and no one showed their face.

The only thing I could remember was the arena, covered in white. My brain tried to work out the exact pace of where I was but nothing sprang to mind. The only thing I knew was that, I wasn’t in the arena.

The door opened and a figure appeared. Other figures flowed through the door and somehow I became on guard. The tributes took seats in the circle as if they didn’t know what they were doing.