Chapter 1: Under her skin

Teeth and claws.

The taste of blood.

Walking on the thin line between being the predator and being the prey.

The game feared her and she feared the beast with red eyes.

She chased and she was being chased.

Life was simple yet cruel, easy yet arduous.

Had it always been that way? This circle of power and fear, of hunting and being hunted, of surviving and killing, incessantly, like nothing else could ever exist.

She was running in the dark, but the moon shone with a red hue, like painted in blood, alone in the sky, looking quite lonely without being surrounded by stars. Something was chasing her and, yet again, she was running like her life depended on it. It probably did.

She knew better than to look back and lose her speed, but she couldn't help but look up to the moon, with a vain hope that it would calm the fear that was eating her alive.

But the red moon didn't reassure her, it seemed to look down at her with disdain. Its red hue darkening in its center until it looked like and iris, then an eye; the red eye she so feared.

She stopped in her trail and suddenly realised why the sky was barren of stars; the entire night was covered by the dark coat of a wolf bigger than the world. His cruel eyes smirking down at her like he was ready to swallow her whole.

The wolf's teeth appeared, as bright as the stars he hid, and its lips curled into a sinister grin.

''Be a good girl now...'' he spoke with a deep, human voice.

In a last effort, she tried to snarl at him but a sound unlike any grunt or howl came out of her mouth.

''STOOOP!''

A burning pain ripped through her head and she fell backwards.

Instead of falling on the cold ground she realised her back was against a soft, supple, surface. She shot up, sitting in a strange place, her whole body felt weak, like a newborn's.

However did she end up in a human house? This couldn't be good...

She tried to jump down from the bed she had been sleeping on, but her paws crumbled under her weight.

Something felt wrong, she looked down at herself, at a loss.

Where were her fur and claws?

She turned her paw... no... her hand... and examined it curiously. This body felt foreign to her, like it wasn't her own, but it was also vaguely familiar.

It was odd enough; she didn't remember being a human.

To be honest she didn't remember much of anything at all...

Her own name was a blur, she closed her eyes in an attempt at summoning a single memory from her past.

A sharp pain slashed through her head and she saw eyes of a crimson red in her mind.

Her eyes shot open as her whole body screamed danger.

She didn't remember much, but she remembered the fear. She was being chased by this red eyed monster and she could never stop running, lest he would catch up to her.

It didn't matter who she was or where she ended up.

She had nothing in the world, but this ferocious desire to survive and it was enough for her body to start moving towards the room's single window.

Her fingers clumsily struggled against the mechanism that kept the window closed. She probably could have figured it out, but she didn't have the patience to care, so she nonchalantly punched a hole through the glass and jumped out into the night.

She started running; half surprised she knew how to run on only two legs. The cold immediately bit her bare feet, fall was nearing its end and the night felt as chilly as some winter days.

A dense forest surrounded the house, a narrow road was attached on one side, probably leading to civilisation. She took the opposite direction, aiming for the depths of the woods.

The rough ground and tree roots scratched the soles of her feet, but she didn't let the pain slow her down.

She wondered, when in her life she had stopped fearing pain...

Despite the bitter cold and the feeling of being lost, alone in the world, somehow her situation didn't feel so dire.

I'm probably used to this, she thought.

She remembered the name of this feeling of total uncertainty and the adrenaline that came with having nothing to lose but your own life; freedom.

She took a deep breath and let the cold wind fill her lungs as she ran.

She could smell the warm aroma of a rabbit about 800 meters ahead, the earthy scent of an old dying oak on her left, the lingering smell of a decomposing fish that indicated a water source on her right... but something else was tickling her sense of smell, something more intricate, and much more unusual.

She lifted her nose up to breath deeper as she kept running and now that she was searching for it, the smells revealed themselves immediately.

Wolves.

Many of them, coming from behind her, in many angles.

Just from their musky scents, she could tell they were adult males, but it was hard to discern their clear number since their individual odors muddled together.

There was about five of them, maybe one or two more... She couldn't take them all at once, especially in this weak, puny human form she was stuck in.

It was already time for her to prove she deserved this freedom she so cherished.

Author's note:

I've been working on this new story for a couple of weeks already! I really hope you'll enjoy the read as much as I'm enjoying writing this; I'm very excited to tackle a supernatural/fantasy subject!

Don't worry, the boys will appear in the next chapter! Trust me, meeting them is bound to be interesting! ;)