Chapter 30 : Tough Love

They spend the next few days training intensely, everybody was starting to look tired but the pack was getting more and more solid. Not only was their technique and reflexes getting sharper, but it was starting to feel like they could understand each other's next move just by sharing a glance.

The only breaks they had they spend either eating or sleeping, at least most of them did.

Namjoon stared at the post-it covered wall of his room every, constantly changing the defence plans he was working on.

Jin was constantly wrapping the boys fresh injuries and packing extra meals just in case.

Yu fell back in her bed, so exhausted she could have fallen asleep right then and there, when someone quietly knocked on her door.

''Mmmhh...'' she groaned as an answer.

Namjoon and Yoongi came in her room and closed the door behind them.

This was weird enough to catch Yu's attention and she sat up in her bed, giving the two of them a curious look.

''Your powers will be the key to executing my plan. We need to know how reliable they are.'' Namjoon explained.

''And I'm the only one here who had any experience dealing with mind control, so I volunteered to be the guinea pig.'' Yoongi said with an annoyed sigh.

''I told you I can do it!'' Namjoon argued.

''No way! I'm still older than you so we're doing this my way. You'll monitor the results and I'll receive her commands.'' Yoongi stated bluntly.

Yu's eyes widened and she jumped up from the bed.

''What!? You want me to try and control your mind!'' she exclaimed, shocked.

''I don't want to, but we need to. Your power has limits and we have to figure them out somehow.'' Yoongi said, clearly not excited about this experiment.

''We need to find out what commands are most effective, how much detail can you put in them and what's the reach of these commands...'' Namjoon explained. ''Should we use short, simple orders, or make them long and detailed? How far can you be from your target when using your powers, will a recording work, will it work without visual contact? We need all these answers before I can finalise our battle plan...''

''I endured mind control before, so if your orders work on me they should work on everybody else.'' Yoongi added.

''I don't like this... but I'll do what must be done...'' Yu said, resigned.

And so they started their experiments.

''Sit.'' Yu said to Yoongi, her eyes flashing bright yellow in the dimly lit room.

Yoongi's eyes lost any sign of emotion and he sat down on the bed, like unaware she had even given him and order. She kept eye contact with him and started backing away, when she was at the other side of the room, Yoongi's face took on a pained expression but he still couldn't budge from the bed.

When Yu cut her visual contact with him, Yoongi snapped out of it and got back up.

''I'm sorry...'' Yu said.

''Don't worry about it. Stop apologizing and keep at it.'' Yoongi said, his tone was cold, but it almost felt like he was trying to reassure her.

They tried the same thing with Yu's eyes closed and it still worked but not as effectively. When Yoongi put headphones on with music loud enough not to hear her, he managed to completely fight the need to sit down.

They then went outside to test how far Yu's command could reach and it seemed that above 5 meters of range her command was much less effective. When presented with a recording of Yu giving a command, Yoongi had no reaction at all.

All the while Namjoon was furiously scribbling down notes in his notebook.

Yu couldn't remember ever using her gift this much and it was giving her a horrible migraine already.

''Now we'll try a complex order to see how effective it can be. Try to say this...'' Namjoon said before handing Yu a piece of paper.

''Take five steps forward, two steps back and turn to the left before kneeling.'' Yu said a sharp pain ripping through her head and leaving her legs feeling weak.

Yoongi's face was crisped as he took his steps forward and his first back step. Instead of finished the order and kneeling, he managed to struggle to stay upright.

''So we can deduce that the longer the order the less effective it is...'' Namjoon started saying before he noticed that Yu was wobbling backwards.

Yoongi was just nearly quick enough to grab the girl by the shoulders and help her stay on her feet.

''This is taking a toll on you, isn't it?'' he asked.

''I'm just a little dizzy...'' Yu said.

''That's enough for me to finish formulating the plans, we all need some rest...'' Namjoon concluded before coming towards the girl and pulling one of her arm on his shoulder to help her walk home.

''You can go work on the plans, I'll make sure she gets to her room...'' Yoongi said, taking the other girl's arm.

''I'm good, besides you're the one who must feel tired after all these tests.'' Namjoon replied, not letting go of Yu's arm.

''I'm in top shape, I've seen much worse, you're the one who still has a big night ahead.'' Yoongi argued, pulling Yu closer to him.

Yu pulled her arms free and looked to the men with an annoyed expression.

''I'm not a toy to play tug of war with. I can walk on my own.'' she said before walking towards the house, dismissing how dizzy she still felt.

Both men followed her, but when she extended her hand to reach the door knob her body finally gave out under her and she felt herself crumbled under her own weight.

She didn't feel any pain when she fell though, instead she was wrapped in a warm embrace.

''You keep pushing yourself too hard... You really want to make us worry that much, uh?...'' a warm male voice said as she felt the softness of her bed under her.

''I should be shaking you awake and scolding you right now, not tucking you into bed... you're lucky I love you...'' the voice added before Yu felt her blankets securely wrapping her.

''Sweet dreams, Yu...''