Chapter 3: Flight or Fight

The pale wolf stared at her silently and she returned his gaze. His eyes were filled with disdain, but she could read no aggression in them. He looked at her like she was just a fly in his path.

It stung on her ego, but if it meant she could go free she would let it pass this time.

''I mean no harm and I won't fight unless necessary. Just let me pass and you'll never hear from me again...'' the girl negotiated.

The wolf looked at her and curled down in a ball like he was ready to go to sleep. He was letting her go free; clearly he didn't share the opinion of his pack members that were trying to hold her back.

The girl gave him a thankful smile before running past him and his eyes were already closed.

Either he doesn't give a shit or he's dumb lazy... Nah, I'd say it's both... the girl thought as she left him behind in her trail.

A couple of minutes went by without the smell of her assailants getting too close. It even seemed like she was starting to distance them.

As the adrenaline ran down, the pain on the soles of her feet started to make her wince with every stride and the cold bit her skin, making her shake like a leaf in the wind.

Damned be human's weak bodies... she thought bitterly.

She tried to think of herself as a wolf. She could remember what it felt like being an animal, but no matter how much she concentrated, she couldn't muster the memory of how she could change her body from a girl to a wolf.

Hell, she could barely muster he strength to keep moving forward!

She couldn't run anymore, no matter how much she pushed on her legs, she was stuck into a breathless jog.

Her mind hadn't given up yet, but her body just couldn't follow through with her will. She blinked for a moment and a piercing pain went through the back of her head. When she opened her eyes, everything stayed black and she felt her legs give up on her.

Maybe she could rest for a second... just a second...

As she was falling forward, an arm caught her and she landed on a warm chest.

''A-are you okay!?'' a voice stuttered.

She didn't hear it, the only thing she noticed was a tall man suddenly holding her, for some reason the weight of his arm on her back made her feel trapped even if he had only touched her for a second.

In the blur of her vision that was just starting to go back to normal, the young man's traits took a familiar appearance.

She didn't remember who this face belonged to, but the simple sight of it made her stomach churn... Then his eyes flashed red and she heard the deep voice she feared instinctively.

Be a good girl...

The next instant the young man was flying backwards and landing roughly against a tree, holding his cheek as her closed fist stung with a dull pain. There was no sign of red eyes and his face looked youthful and pleasant, the total opposite of the harsh features of the red eyed beast she thought she had recognized for a moment.

''Did you just punch me?!'' the young man exclaimed.

''Sorry! Reflex! I thought you were someone else!'' the girl apologised.

''Jungkook, hang in there!'' a third voice said.

Fast footsteps were approaching and another man, taller than the one she had just punched, came running. Clearly he wasn't happy about her punching his friend...