Chapter 1 - 1918

DISCLAIMER - Stephanie Meyer owns all characters and the story line except my own characters and the changes to the story I have made.

*Edited* 21/02/2020 - Please comment any grammar errors of missed. Thank you.

"Sweetie, I'm very sorry but Father has passed away," my mother said in a gentle voice. I gasped and immediately felt tears prick in my eyes.
"What?" I whispered turning away from my mother to my older brother. "Edward, what happened?" I couldn't believe Father was dead.
"Father got caught in the wave of Spanish influenza," he explained. He was trying to hide the sadness in his voice, but I knew him too well for him to be able to mask it completely. We didn't hide anything from each other.

We'd always been close as far as siblings went. We'd been inseparable since we were kids and we still had a a very close bond now.

I felt the tears spill over and run down my cheeks. I cuddled in to Edward shaking with sobs. He wrapped his arm around me and held me on our sofa for what felt like a very long time. He comforted me and hugged me until I had calmed down slightly.

After some time had passed, he carried me up to my room and lay me on my bed. He stood up to leave but I before he could, I grabbed his arm and whispered "Eddie, please stay."
"Of course, Ellie," he replied before lying down next to me on the bed. I snuggled into his side and we stayed like that the whole night.

I woke once during the night and Edward was awake, staring at the ceiling. I wasn't entirely sure, still half asleep, but I thought I saw something glistening on his cheek.

-~-

Edward stayed with me the next night as well. I was still incredibly upset over my father's passing.

It was a strange feeling, not having him around. It made me appreciate the small things that I'd never really thought about before. Just seeing him every morning before he went out to work. Him kissing my forehead when he told me goodnight. Seeing his faces when he got in from work. Though he was tired after a long day, he always greeted Edward and I with a smile and would do whatever we asked of him.

I missed my Father greatly though it had only been two days. He'd been away on longer business trips so I guess it hadn't fully sunk in yet but it didn't feel like those times he was away. I knew he wasn't coming back and I would never see him again. There was an empty feeling inside me. I was a young girl who had just lost her father. It hurt.

When I woke up the following morning Edward was still asleep. I checked the clock on my bedside table and knew I needed to go to the shops to buy the things Mother had asked me too. I quietly (and slowly, since I was still tired and upset) climbed out of bed, ripped a piece of paper out of my sketch pad and scribbled a note saying I had gone to the shops and would be back soon.

I placed the slip of paper on my pillow before getting changed into a pink dress and heading out the door. I carried my basket down the road and walked to the village square where all the shops were built as well as the market that came the last Sunday of every month.

Not what Eliana looks like. Just for the dress:

 Just for the dress: