3.1

cecilia and the satellite - andrew mcmahon in the wilderness

Violet's POV

I woke up the next morning feeling like I'd started a new chapter in life. I felt like the cage door had been opened, and I was finally free. I felt happiness.

I walked toward the kitchen, deciding to eat before getting dressed. I was still curious of what the school day would hold. "Vi, can we talk a minute?" Dad asked, sipping his coffee. "Uh, sure," I yawned, sitting down at the table. "Ashton's Mom called me yesterday, said you two broke up." "Yeah." "Why didn't you say something? Those things are never easy." "But it was. It was the easiest thing I've ever done. Dad, I hate him. He's rude and awful and boring. I couldn't continue pretending I was going to develop feelings for him to please everyone else. I'm so happy without him." I sighed, thinking of my lips on Michael's.

"Is it because of that Michael boy?" he asked. Could he read my mind? "How do you know about him?" "I can hear you talk to him with that Beatrix. You spend a lot of time with him." "There is nothing wrong with breaking up with someone to be with someone else. Ashton cheated on me, with Kate, by the way. It was the last straw." "I'm not judging you. I'm proud of you for making your own decisions. You deserve to be treated well. I ought to give him a few choice words for treating you like that, but for the benefit of everyone else I won't. I'm glad you've found someone to make you happy." "I really like him. He's nothing like Ashton and it's perfect."

I pulled into my normal parking spot, taking a deep breath. Until this point, I hadn't considered what I would do in the classes I have to sit besides all of them. I could pretend I didn't know them, because truthfully, I didn't want to.

I walked in the school to find more people staring at me than usual. Word had obviously gotten out. I passed through everyone, ignoring the whispers. It didn't even bother me, because I didn't even feel like they were talking about me. They still knew Old Violet, and that's their own misfortune.

I remember when I first dyed my hair, after Kate shook her head in disapproval and Ashton told me it made me look less "doable", and everyone at school reacted the same way, questioning why I would ruin my perfect blonde hair for such a dark color. I hated that anything I did was relevant to them. I didn't care what they did in their lives, they shouldn't care about what I did in mine.

I took the empty seat in the front of Mr. Forester's room, joining a row of people I would get in trouble for speaking to if I was still friends with them. Nobody said anything as I sat down. I half expected the group of girls to tell me I couldn't sit with them. I looked out of place sitting by them, but I didn't care. For the rest of the day, I would be seated far away from the people who used to call themselves my "friends".

-
Filler soz