1.0

1901 - phoenix

Violet's POV

"You ready? Cal and Kate are already waiting on us," Ashton informed me as we walked through the hall. After the way lunch went, I didn't know if I could spend another minute with them. "Actually, I think I'm going to class. I'm already behind." "Since when do you care about classes? I don't even think you know how to read," he scoffed. "I never said you have to go. I know how to get there." I said, though I really didn't. "I guess I'll go today, because I love you. But if you pull this shit next week you're staying with those freaks by yourself." he kissed my temple, and I shifted away from him.

Ashton was attractive if anything, (as well as Calum,) but we just weren't going to last. We had nothing in common, and on top of everything else, he had no problem belittling me. It was like it was his mission to remind me of my flaws.

We walked into class just before the bell rang, and I was surprised at the surrounding. Why would anyone want to skip this class? The room was so different than all the others, it was modern and comfortable. In the back of the room were two navy leather couches parallel to each other, with a table between them. Near them were two leather chairs, sitting directly beside each other. In the front of the spacious room was two rectangular tables, chairs on each side. The walls were covered with bookshelves, and the room had several posters of books and movie adaptations. I made my decision right then that I would never skip this class again.

"Not many people have this class, as you can see why," Ashton told me, as he lead me to the back of the room. A girl sat on one of the couches across from us, her face almost buried into the book.

"I am Mrs. Gray, your contemporary literature teacher! Welcome to the class, and if you come by my desk I can let in on what's going on." the woman at the front of the room spoke to me. She was cheery and wore bright clothes. She didn't make me feel dumb, I liked her.

"So, in here we focus on books, as you can see," she chuckled, "currently the students get to pick what book they want to read, which they get two weeks to read. After that they do some work and then an essay, then an oral report. Wednesdays are our free reading days, so you can read the book of your choice. Over on that table by the door are the selections you may pick for your assignment." "Okay. Thank you, I feel like less of an idiot," I told her. "Nobody gets left behind here! This assignment just started last week, so you may have a few more days to catch up depending on your reading skill. But for the entire year, Wednesday is free reading day so you may curl up in the back with a snack and a good book!" she patted me on the back. I nodded as I headed over to the door. I felt comfortable here.

I looked at my feet as I walked, studying the checkered tile. All of the class rooms here looked so expensive. I know Old Violet could never go here based on her iq. I continued watching the patterned floor under my feet until I bumped into someone. I felt myself falling backwards, and I knew I was done. My clumsiness would kill me. I would hit my head and die for sure. This was it. Only a second after tripping back, both of my arms were jerking in front of me, pulling me to my feet. After calming my panic, I looked up, and smiled.

"Michael, oh my god, you are so clumsy." I laughed. "Says the girl looking at the floor as she walks. You're trying to hurt yourself." he left go of my arms. "I'm just studying the room! I have never been so amazed." "Except for when you're in front of a phone or computer." he added. "Very funny. It's cool that you're in here," I told him, looking back at Ashton, his phone close to his face.

"It's actually very funny you're in here. This is the first Wednesday you've showed up in awhile." "I heard. I love it in here, I don't see why they skip." I replied. "You're asking the wrong one," he scratched the back of his neck. I looked through the selection of books on the table. "Which one are you reading?" I asked. "I read Fight Club. You should read it." I grabbed it from the table.

"Your friends all picked the same book and then saw the movie, you might want to get it instead." "Which is? They're not my friends. Not necessarily." "Divergent. It's a kick ass book, but the movie isn't that great. They're gonna look like idiots with their reports." "I'll remember that." He nodded, and I looked back at Ashton. I knew I shouldn't be caught talking to Michael. I couldn't handle the drama just yet, and I couldn't convince myself to be disgusted by him like my "friends" are. "Thanks for not letting me bust my ass and die, again, and for the book," I told him. He nodded as I went back to the couch.

"I got a book picked out," I told Ashton, who was busy texting. He lifted it from my lap, "Go up there and get this one called Divergent. You don't have to read it, the movie came out awhile ago." "I want to read this one, it looks interesting." I stood my ground. "You are really into this whole 'being different' thing aren't you?" "I'm not," I used the same air quotes he did, "being different. This is who I am now. I don't know anything else." "You got that right." he mumbled. "This is what I am. It's all you get. I don't see why you're still with me if you're just going to treat me like shit. I'm a person, not an object." I crossed my arms, my tone cold. The girl across from us was trying to hide the fact that she was paying attention to us. I still wasn't used to the fact that everyone paid attention to us.

"Look, this is hard for me too. I'm sorry." he put his hand on my cheek. I didn't feel the emotion I was supposed to, unless repulsion was what I was supposed to feel. "I love you a lot, and it's not easy getting used to a different person. I'll tone it down," he spoke. He pecked my lips.

I understood his perspective, we didn't know each other anymore. He's used to bitchy Violet. It was hard to believe that he liked it, much less loved. I reminded myself that I had to attempt at this, before completely breaking up with him and walking away from my "friends". I wasn't ready to be a loner yet, I still needed answers. That's it. I didn't feel bad for only sticking around them for my own use. I deserved it, didn't I?

Although they annoyed the shit out of me, I had to see what quality (if any) made me like them in the first place. The more I'm forced to be around them the more I want to stray away.

Our small kiss only lasted seconds, since he was the only one kissing. I couldn't handle any longer. It wasn't that I didn't find him attractive, because I did, but there was no attraction. Beauty on the outside only goes so far, and I can't force my feelings. I saw a head of blue quickly pass, and head for the door. Maybe he skips this class too, I convinced myself as I sat next to Ashton, his arm around my shoulder as I opened the book. I gave him the moment, because very soon I would be a lost cause, unable to return, whether my memory came back or not. Unfair or not, my "friends" losing me was inevitable.

-

so what's goin on with michael hm