0.5

apple tree - nina nesbitt

I spent the entire night practicing tutorials on YouTube, just so I'd now how to do my makeup.

I didn't care what people thought, or I tried not to because I know everyone was going to look at me. On top of not appearing as who I was two weeks ago and not knowing a damn thing, my doctor told me I should wear sunglasses in case the lights are too bright, because I shouldn't take pain medication before school due to the fact "it will make me drowsy." Kids these days would kill to be high off the shit they give me.

Although I'm still slow on what's up to date, high schoolers have always been into drugs. Unless a wild D.a.r.e rally changed their minds, I'm assuming it's still a thing.

At our old house, our neighbor had a daughter who was sixteen. Bria was her name, she told me all about what her and her friends did. I always thought she was the coolest person ever, and the closest thing I had as a sister, though she was being paid to babysit me. All the clothes I bought reminded me of what she used to wear.

I stayed in my bra and underwear as I did my makeup, just like Bria would do. I felt stupid for wanting to be like her, but she's the only person I can vividly remember that excited me. Another thing I was amazed by: puberty. The last thing I remember is getting my first period and buying a training bra and battling acne. Now I have two giant lumps on my chest and clear skin, and I can't deny the fact that love it. It's cool as hell.

I put on black eyeliner, foundation and mascara. After plucking my godforsaken eyebrows, (they were atrocious, trust me) I put on lip gloss. I plainly straightened my hair, tussling where my hair parted. I slid my dark sunglasses over my head after I pulled a Def Leppard tee over my hair, and stepped into the fringed acid washed shorts. What an embarrassment it would be for me to get in trouble on my first day, for violating the dress code.

I heard a horn outside. I quickly got my shoes on, and grabbed my phone and what I found out was my bag. "Dad, I'm leaving," I called as I walked through the halls.

"You look different." I stopped as I saw him sitting at the kitchen table, typing on his tablet and drinking coffee. The new technology that was out amazed me. iPhones have really evolved.

"Yeah, you like it? I feel great." "Here's money for lunch, you didn't eat breakfast." "Thanks, I think my ride is here." I hugged him, and walked toward the door.

"Dad?" "Yes?" he asked, looking up from whatever he was doing. "If I call you, please come get me." I breathed. The nervousness got worse. "I'll try. If not Marie can." "Whose Marie?" I asked immediately. "Oh, she works in my office. She can pick you up. You're eighteen though, if you could drive you can check yourself out." "Really?" I asked, already liking how it sounded. "Yep. Now get to school," he joked. "See ya," I said, stepping out into the warm sunlight.

"You've got to be kidding me," I mumbled as I approached Ashton's car. A convertible? I would've been impressed when I was twelve, but this is just nonsense. It's too over the top for me.

I put on my sunglasses before getting inside. "Morning," he kissed me cheek, immediately pulling away when realizing my reaction. "Sorry, we usually do more than that." You won't be getting anything of any kind, pal.

"But you can see why I'm not comfortable with that." "Totally. I know it'll be a little while before anything happens but you'll come around, I know you." I don't even know myself, you idiot. "So we've had sex before?" I asked, staring at the buildings passing us. It was a warm day to be September. He laughed, "Oh yeah. All the time, babe. You're a natural." he patted my leg. I didn't even ask if he was the one I gave my virginity to. I lost five years of my life, it could've been anyone.

"By the way, I noticed you're dressing different. You look like, rocky. Makes you look like a bad ass." I tried to take it as a compliment, despite his tone. "Cal said he saw you at the mall yesterday. I would've taken you if would've called me." "My dad offered to take me, but thank you."

He parked the car on the side of the building. "You don't have a special parking place?" I asked, the sarcastic words tumbling out of my mouth before I could stop them. "I park over here on the Wednesdays because it's easier to sneak out when we're skipping sixth period." "The class president skipping? Who would've thought." "They don't really check attendance all day long. We go get frozen yogurt just down the road instead of going to contemporary literature." "Why?" I asked as we walked towards the door, his arm around my shoulder. I didn't even bother fighting it. He was my boyfriend, after all. "Because we have it with a bunch of stoner punk kids, like them." he flicked his head to the side of the building, a group of kids smoking. I only noticed one.

Michael.