1.1

consoler of the lonely - the raconteurs

Michael's POV

"What did I fucking tell you? You're letting her hurt you already." Luke's words went in one ear and out the other. "No, she's not doing it purposely. I know she isn't going to stay with him," I shook my head. We sat my car, still parked at school, the air conditioning louder than the radio. "I know it's going to take time. She's still figuring it out. I don't know, I guess when I looked over and saw him kiss her I just couldn't watch, even if I've seen it a thousand times before."

"She isn't even breaking your heart at this point. She's fucking torching it, and she doesn't even know it. You're letting her do this." "Luke, I cannot help it. I look at her, and I see way more than what I used to. She's changed and I love it. I'm kind of glad this happened." "You think she's just going to drop all of her shit and hop on your dick? I know you're smarter than that." "That's not what I'm looking for! I want her to feel the same way about me. If she gets to know me I know it's possible."

"You didn't even worry about her before the accident. You still wanted her, yeah, but you didn't have your head up her ass. This accident has fucked it up for everyone. Just how she would've want it to." he took a drag off the cigarette, the smoke filling the car. "At the hospital, in the waiting room, I waited for hours to see if she was alright. I was there for almost four hours when Ashton showed up, and he didn't even notice me. He wasn't even worried. He looked inconvenienced really, and then the nurse called me back and explained everything. Because I was the first thing she remembered being in the year 2014, she told them I was her boyfriend. It's fate, he's clearly not the one."

"Of course you're the only thing she remembers. You fucking carried her out of there like a superhero. You can't keep your head in the clouds forever. You need to get your dick wet." I didn't bother mentioning that I did tell the paramedics I was her boyfriend, it would make it worse. He was not convinced. I got why though, but it didn't make it easier. I should be listening to him, and any other time I would, but I just couldn't now.

For some fucked up reason, I did not mind Violet Cameron tearing my heart down the middle. I know she's going to be the one to sew it back together. I didn't know how yet, but I do, no matter how much I look like I'm lovesick and in denial.

"She's still coming to movie night." I told him, tapping my fingers on the wheel. "Will you at least promise to watch yourself? Of all the hard ass things you've done, a damn girl has got you wound up." "She's not just a girl," I began to say. "Do you hear yourself? I want to go back to when you were a dick and didn't give a shit about anything. Who the hell let your feelings come back?" "I can't explain it, man. There's just something about her. It's gotta be pretty damn special if just talking to her has got me like this." "I don't care how special you think she is. You can't be a bummer all the damn time." Luke stated. I sighed, "Fuck it."

Violet's POV

The last period of the day was easy, even though I had it with Kate. "Let's go out to the soccer field and watch Cal, I bet Ashton is there." she said as we sat in the back of yet another nice classroom. "I like it in here, it's so calm. Like literature." "You ought to like it. Your dad paid for half the shit in here." "What?" I sat up. "He's only a psychologist. We don't have this kind of money." I chuckled. It looked a lot like his office, but with desks. "After your parents split there was this documentary that he was in. Teen Mind or something. You guys had a lot more money after that," "So after my mom left we suddenly became loaded?" "I'll explain on the way to the field," she told me.

"The rest you should really ask your dad about, I'm not one to gossip." I scoffed at her, "Speaking of, you should definitely come over for a girls night Saturday. Calum's having a party Friday but I know you can't go." She's got answers. But she's so ignorant.. Which is more important, answers or her ignorance?

"Sure. I've got a doctors appointment Monday, they'll probably tell me when I can stop wearing these stupid ass glasses." I informed her, and she nodded.

I was still processing all that she told me. It's not like the documentary made millions, and I'm sure my dad has most of it saved- but it was a well amount. It was showed around the state and outside areas.

Once I got home, my dad continued our driving lesson. I didn't ask him about the documentary yet. I felt like I knew how to drive already, once I was behind the wheel I only needed to be reminded of small things.

"How was your first day?" he asked as I put the car in park. I didn't tell him about my spectacle with Mrs. Whitman either. "It was okay. I made a new friend." "Really? Like an old friend that you don't remember, or someone actually new?" "Completely new. To a point. You know the boy that called the ambulance? His name is Michael and he's really cool." "Ah. I'm glad you are accepting new people into your life." he said, obviously referencing Old Violet's ways.

"I've really changed. I don't think I'll go back to the way I was." I told him for the first time, though I'd constantly repeated it to myself and everyone else. "And I'm glad," he said quietly.

So far, I'm glad too.