0.8

sweet disposition - the temper trap

I watched him put him put the cigarette between his teeth, lighting it immediately. He took a long breath in before exhaling a cloud of smoke. Needless to say, I was mesmerized. I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so attractive. "Let me guess, you've never tried smoking before." he spoke. "I hate to pull the amnesia card, but I wouldn't remember if I did." I pushed my sunglasses on top of my head to take a better look at him, since we were covered by shade. I know I would adjust eventually, but I was impatient. I felt like a blind kid.

"Here," he handed me the burning stick. I took it, and inhaled the poison. I didn't even worry for a second that it could affect me. What could make amnesia worse? Hell, my memories already gone; there's nothing else to take. I blew out the smoke, coughing a little. I handed it back to him, laughing. The filter now had a thin, dark pink ring around it.

"I got lip gloss all over it," I told him, but it was in his mouth already. "Not the first time it's happened." he replied, taking a long drag. "Is this how you pick up girls? 'Here, have a smoke.' I bet it works like a charm," I laughed. "No! Ugh. When you pass a joint with a bunch of people a lot of shit is on it where it's been in other mouths. Kinda the same thing, but I don't usually offer girls cigarettes." he smiled. "Then why did you offer me one?" I continued, my curiosity growing. "Because I'm sitting on bench smoking beside Violet Cameron, and she hasn't thrown up yet. Why the hell not?" he chuckled.

I shook my head, putting my hands over my eyes. "Stop referring to me by first and last name. It's only acceptable with celebrities." I paused, "I know I don't really know who I was and now I'm acting completely different and everyone is judging the hell out of me, but I," I paused again, shaking my head. I didn't have a point to conclude, and the frustration was back.

"I'm not judging you. Don't be so hard on yourself, you weren't that bad. Our paths didn't cross often before anyway." "I don't want to be her," I took a deep breath. I couldn't cry in front of him. "It's not easy forgetting everything, and then everyone telling me what I like and who I am. I just want to go with it and figure myself out on my own."

"Sorry, I'm rambling. Apparently guys hate that," I added, remembering Ashton. "Everyone needs to let their feelings out sometimes. I'm all ears," my heart raced. If I could tell anything about him, he was a good friend for sure.

We sat on the bench and spilled our thoughts for what felt like forever. "Shit, we're late for free period." He said as he looked at his phone. We both stood at the bottom of the stairs, contemplating what to do. "If it's okay, I can just hold into your arm." "If it's okay? Never thought I'd hear you say those words," I glared at him. "I was kidding! Sort of. I know, I know, you're not the same."

My hand gripped his inked skin as we walked up the stares, making sure to be careful. Now at the top flight facing the door, we stood in silence. "Thanks again for showing me around," I told him, pushing my sunglasses over my eyes again. "We should do it again sometime, I had fun." he said to me. "Yeah, here," I handed him my phone for him to add his number in.

"What are you doing?" I laughed as he stuck his tongue out to the phone. "I've got to have a contact picture," he informed me. "Go." he handed me his. I stared into the front camera for many seconds. It was like a mirror, the quality was great. "It's like you woke up in the future," he said. "Damn near it," I snapped a photo of me winking at the camera. "Go look what my number is, I don't know it."

He read it off to me, and we exchanged phones back. "I'll talk to you later," I insured as we went down separate hallways. I pulled my schedule out of my bag with a sigh. Michael gave me real conversations and answers, my "friends" reminded me of the accident and all I things I was not. I could clearly see where this was headed.