0.4

cool kids - echosmith

"The fuck is this," "What in the fuck is that?" I scrunched my nose, looking through my clothes, wondering what the hell I could wear to school tomorrow. I didn't exactly agree with what I wore in all the pictures I have, much less all the shit I see before me. For the past two weeks all I've worn is pajamas, not caring how I look.

My hair looked messy, and my skin looked drained. I don't even remember how to properly put on makeup. Can you believe that? Something that simple. Gone.

I knocked on my dad's home office door before entering. "Violet just came in. I'll call you back." "Hey, how are you feeling?" he asked, his voice seemed so loud. Everything did.

"I was wondering if you could take me to the mall later? I don't like anything in my closet. Why did you ever let me dress like that?" I laughed. "Yeah, let me call Mar- let me just make a phone call and we'll go."

"Alright," I wondered down the quiet hall. This house was kind of big for just us. An apartment would've been a lot simpler to familiarize. I looked in the mirror, contemplating on whether to change my clothes or not.

Nobody goes to the mall on a Tuesday afternoon, right? It's not like I would know anybody anyway.

"You're wearing your pajamas?" my dad tried to hold in a laugh. "Yes. I don't have clothes, remember?" "You loved all those clothes when you got them, you go to the mall with your friends a lot." "They're too upbeat for me, I feel like a politician just looking at them."

"You do know your way around the mall, don't you?" He asked, parking the car. "Yes, dad. Aren't you going in with me?" "I'm going to get some coffee around the corner, you can call me when you're done." he handed me a wad of money, and I stopped. "Dad, this is a lot. Woah." "You need new clothes, it's like a new school year for you. It's no problem. Have fun."

Yet another mystery in how my father could hand me three hundred dollars and tell me to have fun. Five years ago he would've told me to spend my money responsibly, giving me no more than thirty.

I went inside Journey's first, buying a plain pair of black Vans. Every shoe I had at home was some hideous sandal or heel. It just didn't seem like me. The white sneakers I had on now made me want to puke.

I passed the preppy stores that my clothes at home probably came from. Gag.

I ended up buying multiple pairs of jeans and tshirts of all the bands that I know I didn't listen to anytime recent. The girl in the pictures doesn't seem like the Mick Jagger type, but the girl in the mirror looking back at me definitely is.

I'm trying to accept change, rather than spend millions of useful minutes to wonder who I used to be. I don't even consider us the same people, the more I learn about myself the more I know it doesn't sound right. I want to find out who I am, rather than to be told.

I went into the bathroom, changing into one of the outfits I had just purchased. I know I didn't own a decent stick of black eyeliner, so I showed myself to Sephora, which I know for a fact pre-amnesia Violet would've loved. All the prissy blonde girls love it here, I don't see why.

I grabbed the cheapest tube they had and got out of there, before I could run into anyone.

I had spoken to soon, when I walked toward the food court I heard my name. "Vi Vi!" "Violet Cameron!" "Violet, over here!" a girl squealed. I couldn't help the confused look I had as she approached me. I didn't know who the fuck anyone was, I couldn't act like I knew the girl.

She had long blonde hair, many shades lighter than mine, and she wore a polka dot crop top with light washed capri pants. Very stereotypical.

I stared at her and the cute tan boy beside her, until she began to speak. "I know you don't remember me," she spoke really slow as if I were stupid. "It's amnesia, not a hearing disorder." I huffed. "Yes, I know. I just never know with those kinds of things. I'm Kate, you're best friend. It's so weird introducing myself, I'm not used to people not knowing me. Any who, this is Calum, my boyfriend, also your friend." her accent was very posh, I bit my tongue before I said something rude.

"Oh. Okay." "We were about to get some food, come sit." she dragged my hand to a table, Calum following behind. "What are you wearing anyway? You look like one of those grungy tumblr kids. I don't like it." she stated, eyeing my outfit.

"I just needed something different," I told her, my voice going quiet. She made me feel out of place. "You're not going through an emo phase are you? I can walk you into PacSun and get it all out of your system."

I sighed. I still wondered what I saw in these people. I hoped that tomorrow I would find out.