1.7

progress - mutemath

Violet's POV

By the time I woke up, I had completely forgotten about going to Kate's. "Late night in," my Dad said as he sat at the table, typing on his computer. "Why don't we have any pets?" I asked. It was too lonely with just us. "We didn't spent a lot of time at home before. And besides, after Astro, you didn't want another pet." "Astro?" "Your rabbit. He got old." "Why didn't you tell me about the documentary?" I asked. I hated to bombard him with questions this early, but I had no choice, I was being eaten alive with inquisitiveness.

"It's not that big of a deal really," "How much did you make?" "I didn't tell you because I didn't want it to change you, again. It was dishonest of me but I was trying to better you." Here we go with the psychology crap. "I don't care either way. I was just wondering." I told him, sitting down next to him. "I'm going over Kate's today. And Ashton is taking me out tomorrow." I informed him. "I thought that maybe we could have dinner tonight." "Oh. That's fine. It's not like I wanted to hangout with them."

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked. We might as well go in his office so he can make me feel crazy. "I just don't get it. I must've been good at heart underneath all the awful because I'm not a bitch anymore. They're just not my type of people. I see them for hours at school and it is miserable for me." "The only reason I continue to be around them is so I can learn why I was around them in the first place, and try to keep everything the way it's supposed to be." I added. "Until we get a full report on your condition, you should really live as if your memory is not going to come back. I'm not saying that it won't, but you should be prepared for the worst. If you like hanging out with certain people you didn't before, it's okay." He's slowly bringing up Michael, I can tell. I don't want him to be the topic of discussion yet. "Can we finish up my driving lesson today? I really want to be able to drive myself." I changed the subject.

"If you aren't comfortable driving yet, you can wait a little longer." "I'm fine. My driving isn't too bad." "That, I'm thankful for." he sighed. Another thing I must've been at terrible before. "Vi, your phone is ringing." "Are you testing me? I won't touch my phone while I'm driving." I assured him as I drove us back to the house.

"You called?" I said into the phone, I felt compelled to call Kate back. "When are you coming over? I can come get you." "Actually, I meant to call you. My dad wants to have dinner tonight. I think he's going to tell me something important." Which was true, I could feel the significance of me going to dinner with him versus him making dinner at home.

"That sucks. There's a party tonight anyway," she replied. "I gotta go." With that being said, I hung up. I didn't care to hear about another party I wasn't capable of or interested in attending.

"What should I wear? Like fancy, or casual?" "You probably shouldn't wear jeans." I was prepared for this. At the mall I bought the most perfect black dress ever. It was a sleeveless skater dress with a v-neck line, lace covering the middle of my chest. As hard as I tried not to sound girly, I failed. The fucking dress made me feel pretty.

"Ready?" My dad knocked on the door. "I think," I looked in the mirror. My hair and makeup was done, and this was the first time I actually saw myself cleaned up. I kind of liked it. Though my dad wore suits to work, this was different. He looked like he was trying to impress.

We sat in the booth of the posh restaurant across from each other. I could feel him holding back. "So, what do you think you're gonna get?" he asked, pretending to look at the menu as he scanned the room. "I don't know yet." I shrugged, eyeing the menu.

"Sorry I'm late!" A woman slid into the booth beside my father, kissing him on the cheek. What the fuck. I couldn't think of any of words. "Violet, I know you don't remember me," oh here we go with this bullshit, "but I'm Marie." "This evening is very special, Violet." My dad added. Why the fuck did they keep saying my name like that?

"Vi, Marie and I have been engaged since the beginning of the year." another bomb was dropped. First the divorce, then this. Lovely. "What?" I sucked in a breath. "Violet, I know we got off to a rough start, but this time around it really will be different. I want to get to know you again." I studied the woman. Long black hair, dark red lipstick, and genuine tan skin. Hm.

"Why did you wait so long to tell me?" I asked. "I don't like you. That's why, right? You thought maybe hiding this would ease it up? I'd be more accepting? This is bullshit." I tried not to cry. I was sick of everyone withholding information to me. I hated it. "You've never been good with mothers. We just thought maybe you could accept this better-" "I'm done." I stood up, and quickly walked out of the restaurant. I had so many emotions, I couldn't even think. My dad getting remarried? That's why he's never home? Who did this lady think she was anyway? I think it hurt the most that their option was to not tell me. I wanted everything to make sense. I wanted to know why my mother moved on and now my dad too, leaving me behind to watch them step forward.

I walked around the back of the parking lot, though I knew I couldn't take the car. He had the keys, and I'd be damned if I was going to go inside and get them from him. I tried even harder not to cry as I attempted to think of a solution. I didn't have many options. As I put my phone to my ear, and the person on the other line answered, my voice broke.

"Michael," I sniffled.

-

heyyyyy

school has been hella busy but the story is about to start getting rlly good

thx 4 reading pals