Surprise Attack (Damian Wayne x Reader)

HI, here's another story for ya. It includes prompt 24 (A: He tried to kill me! B: Yeah, he does that.) and was requested by @Cottoncandy10121 :). Hope you enjoy!

Mahbub = Beloved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look in the mirror I see brokenness, anger, hurt, pain, sorrow and the list goes on and on. When other people look at me I know all they see is me, my reflection. But that's because they don't see my true self, my inner pain, because it's been hidden ever since I was a child. Afraid of what my colleagues would think. The League of Assassins changed a broken little girl into a deadly weapon. But being an assassin had its perks, I guess. A new city each week, hotel life with no dishes or chores, new clothes every day - the old ones discarded at thrift store doors. They made me as agile as an Olympic gymnast, although I prefer to think of myself as a ninja. I developed a need to fight, part of me craved it. You know, they say that we recreate our childhoods, seek the same dysfunction we escaped from. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Who knows?

It wasn't until I had finished my training and graduated as one of the few advanced assassins that I met him. He was the one which made me smile after those many years of pain and mental torture. Despite Talia's objections Ra's al Ghul allowed us to train together, soon becoming the deadliest couple that the Leauge of Assassins produced. That was until we escaped their clutches. Back then I would have poisoned everyone's apple if it meant the Leauge got what they wanted. Half green, half red on the outside but black and rotten on the inside like an angel in disguise. 

I was never allowed to be afraid. I was never allowed to show the tenseness that grew in my head and heart. I was trained to be a "warrior", not a "coward". I rose to the expectations put onto me; I stood tall no matter what came my way, sword drawn and resting on the ground beside me. I hid the fear when I had to, allowing it to seep out when I was alone. I don't regret who I was, but the choices I had made. There had been no hope of rescue for me but somehow, Damian found a way to light a fire inside me. A flame that was so magnificent that it blinded the darkness lurking in my heart. Then I was set free. Free from the prison of thick brambles and deadly thorns which the Leauge planted inside me. I was free from evil so thick, I couldn't control it. I will never be able to repay Damian for his kindness, but I can stay by his side. Always and forever.

I grin through chapped lips as I feel the winds icy fingers playing with my hair. This is where I want to be, where I'm supposed to be. Damian and the others will come looking for me soon, but for now, it is just me, the wind, and the sleeping city. Soon enough the winds die, leaves ceasing to rustle, even the rumble of traffic is absent. In these frozen seconds, I hear the crunch of dried twigs under a boot, just enough to give me the location of the intruder. I turn ever so slightly, noticing the dark reds and yellows of Damian's new suit. I raise an eyebrow and smirk, watching his cheeks turn a bright red.

"Tt, you mock me already Mahbub!" He exclaims.

"It's just different, that's all." I laugh.

His chiselled jaw lifts with a proud, pleasant smile. His eyes a sparkling blue, so much like his fathers, and his soft, feather-like black hair brushed away from his brow. He is charming and smart. His voice was that of any rich boy, honeyed and proud.

"So, do you take a liking to the suit?" He asks.

"I like whatever you wear Mahbub, you know that," I giggle.

He looks at me and its as if every ounce of breath is taken from my lungs floating into the air like the midnight smoke. This feeling is so strange; it stretches throughout my whole body. It's overwhelming, yet makes me feel complete. It has no bound nor length nor depth; it's just absolute. It feels as though I'm in a dangerous fire, yet I'm completely safe at the same time. It feels as though someone's given me peace. It feels as though my heart is dancing around my chest; and a hole, I was never aware was there, has been filled. I feel so light like I'm on top of the world yet my heart is constricting and it feels as if there's no oxygen in my lungs. Should I have eternity to be with this guy I would sink into serenity, just content to be close. Our energy vibrates in such a unique way, each the perfect complement of the other. His smile alone burnishes my soul into a beauty it could never have achieved on its own. I sigh before resting my head on Damian's shoulder, the feeling of content washing over me. The night sky is such a welcome sight, appearing like magic at each sunset, promising to return as it faded in dawn's first light. 

"This is nice," I whisper.

"I agree Beloved," Damian replies.

After a few minutes sitting in silent bliss, Damian and I get up, entering the Manor and walking down to the Batcave. As we walk down the darkened staircase a figure reaches out from the shadows and clasps onto Damian. I jump back sword drawn, ready to attack the person responsible. A laugh escapes my lips as Damien struggles against Jason. Damian manages to free himself from Jason's grip, swinging his katana and slashing Jason a few times.

"Enough you two!" Bruce roars from his seat in front of the bat-computer.

"He tried to kill me!" Jason retorts.

"Yeah, he does that." I chime in, grinning.

Arguing with the boys is pointless because their replies are based more in your own emotions than the quality or intention of my response. Jason stomps off, annoyance etched into his features. I tip back my head and roar with laughter. 

Damian looks at me with surprise, "What on earth are you laughing about now?" 

I turn my head and smile, "Oh, well, it's all a bit ridiculous, isn't it?"

"But, you laughed like it was the best joke you ever heard!" He exclaims, frustration evident in his face.

"Damian, you are bold, beautiful, wonderful but clueless as hell. Good things feel good. When it doesn't feel good, there's something wrong. But bad feelings come from envy, jealousy, greed, emotions like that. We all have them. But I believe its best to find happiness out of even the smallest things, it makes living this life less of a burden," I explain.

"You are a woman of mysteries Mahbub," He replies, smirking.

"You love it, my dear," I sass back.

Damian's fingers gently run up and down my spine. My cheeks light up with a fiery blush as his captivating blue eyes search my own. He leans down, resting his forehead against mine, our breaths mingling. His warm breath blowing across my face. I shut my eyes in anticipation. Just as I feel a rush of adrenalin enveloping me, making my heart sing with joy, Damian pulls away. I instantly miss the lovely heat curling within me.

"Of course I do," He confirms.

"You tease," I murmur grumpily.