The Way To Recovery (Jason Todd x Reader)

Hello, my beautiful followers! Here is another story for y'all! Hope you enjoy this story! This was requested by @Kara4914 and uses prompt 8 "A: It's okay, I'm not mad. A (5 mins later): Actually? You can go to Hell.". That's all from me right now! Ok, so something screwed up the first time I published this story so I had to write the rest again. This happened so many times while writing this story!

Warning: minimal swearing & blood

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N) pov

Every day after work, I lie down on my comfortable couch reading books and watching talk shows - no communication with friends or others. He has become a silhouette to me almost as if he walked from a photograph and left behind blackness. There is an ache that comes and goes, always returning in quiet moments. I want so much to keep him close, to talk and laugh like we once did and I know that his absence is permanent. I see Jason everywhere I go - in the things we both loved - in nature, in music, in silly things. So although he is gone, his aura remains, beautiful and robust, making the pain all the worse, keeping the feelings so raw. In time I'll learn new skills to cope, I always do, I am a survivor after all, much like Beyonce. But no matter how many times I say that I have moved on I still find my bed to be cold and lonely. I miss his muscular arm that wrapped around me as much as I miss the smell of him. Not seeing him for a year has been tough on me but recovery is slow and I know that one day it won't hurt as much whenever I think of him.

As the sun creeps over the horizon I feel more optimistic than ever before. The crime in Gotham has significantly decreased, showing signs of safer streets for the future. The lights of my bicycle shine like smudged stars, the wintry mist cold upon my skin. As the journey passes, sunlight rouses more colours from their sleepy monochrome and, though the road still has the black look of the night, the sky is already more bluish than charcoal. Under the fumes of the morning traffic, a tincture of the dawn lingers, like dew upon leaves. 

The sound of my music swims through me, the notes relaxing me but also allowing me to push myself to stay in beat with it as I ride. I am quickly proved wrong as I hear gunshots. They overpower my music causing me to stop and remove my headphones. I have been in Gotham long enough to know a gunshot when I hear one. From the loudness, I quickly estimate the shooting was less than one hundred metres away. More worryingly the rapidity of the shots suggested something automatic. Then silence returns far more thickly than it was before the shots as if everything around me was collectively holding its breath. I notice a gang of men running out of a building nearby, frantically waving their weapons in the air. They must be looking for someone, most likely Gotham's protector Batman.

Most Gothamites would just shrug their shoulders and return to what they were doing, maybe they would hide until it was over. But my fascination gets the better of me and I am stuck to where I stand. Of course, I am scared but maybe if I stand still and make no movements whatever I will turn invisible. 

"You made a mistake fucking with us!" A rough voice yells out.

"Yeah!" Another voice yells out.

I move closer to the scene, already knowing this was a bad idea. God Jason would kick my ass if he was still around. One of the men must have accidentally pulled the trigger of his gun because another short burst of bullets spit from his gun. I don't realise how close I am until I hear what sounds like a small defeated sigh and the two mysterious voices whispering to one another. 

"So, are you guys going to tell us the information we need or are you like, not?" The second voice asks in a loud manner.

I search for the source of the voices but the owners of them are hidden out of my view. The voices seem so familiar to me but I can't figure out why. The group of men seem to have the same idea as me due to each of them frantically looking around, their guns raised.