The Real Thing Part 2 (Dick Grayson x Reader)

Hey guys! This was requested by @bikergirlforlife so please sit back and enjoy! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N) Pov

It is my night tonight, Halloween night. With a scaly hand, I wrap the cloak around my form. No mask is necessary tonight. They'll just love the way my eyes glow like hot coals. They'll laugh at how realistic my cloven feet are, clicking on the sidewalk. My fingers close around the scythe and finally, it is time to enter the street. I look down at my little sister, her costume looks exactly like mine. She was thrilled when I had shown her my costume, demanding I make her one so we could match. Dressed up to trick or treat we step out of the house. It is cold even for the end of October as if all the heat had been drained away into the earth. I wrap an old cloak around my baby body double before allowing her to lead me around the neighbourhood.

My little sister ducks under thick cobwebs that are strung between the wild trees. The driveway ahead is dark and lit only by the jack-o-lanterns that send out an orange flicker through their mouths and eyes. In the shaggy grass that wet's our costumes lie gravestones and severed body parts, a hand and a foot. From the doorway, a witch stands shrieking and casting spells as she waves her wand up and down. I smile as I hear my sister's sweet, joyful laughter, times like this remind me that I liked having a 4-year-old sister. Her small fingers wrap around one of my own as she pulls me toward another house.

The sun isn't fully set and already the candy wrappers blow over the leaf-strewn sidewalk. Our bags slowly fill with enough candy to last us the rest of the year. The shadows around us transform into creatures of horror, my sister's hold beginning to become stronger. I stare at the faces around us. They are grotesque, disfigured and unsmiling. Some are plastic and the people are carrying bloody knives while moaning. My sister turns and buries her head into my knee. When I pull her away and bend down to see her face she is pale and shaking. 

"Are you cold little pumpkin?" I ask with a warm smile. 

Then the tears flow. All she can get out is "m -m-monsters.".

Then she buries her head again. As she did one of the passing ghouls rattle some chains in her direction and cackles. she clings onto me tighter. I push her slightly behind me as another ghoul approaches us, looking more sinister than the ones before. A shiver runs down my spine and I feel my blood chill in my veins. His knife glimmers ominously in the pale moonlight dripping blood. Cold and ruthless, a weapon. Without kindness. I grab my sister and begin to walk backwards slowly. 

"(N/N)... there some mean men behind us." My sister warns.

A vast blanket of white hangs heavy over the dark city. It suffocates every building and every tree at their base, swallowing every distant object and vanishing around every corner. I hear my sister scream, a voice of pure terror that sounded wrong in her childish voice. Her screams soon fading into ragged sobs.

"Keep close to me, I won't let you get hurt. I promise!" I whisper.

There is a high cold cackle, piercing the air. Before anything else can happen a man lands in front of us, his suit identifying him as Nightwing. The night has robbed us of the daytime colours. He is no more than a silhouette, I only see his fluid black outline from which to guess his emotions, he's ready for a fight. It's only a matter of seconds before the rest of his friends join him. Although my little sister clings to me tightly I can sense her excitement brewing.

"Look (N/N), they are saving us!" She squeals.

I swoop down to my sister's level, swinging her onto my hip before standing back up. I can't move like I usually do, she has me off balance. My heart rate rises, I'm not so "cool, calm and collected" right now and it affects my ability to think properly. Just two blocks later I want to put her down, it must have been adrenaline that got us from the neighbourhood to the bank. There's no way I'm moving at her tottering pace and no way she's releasing her iron grip, so on we go. From the corner of my eye, I notice a mob of people rushing out from the bank. I stop and turn back seeing the Joker and Harley walking away from the bank their faces full of glee.

Before I know it the bank ignites in a fiery ball of yellow flame, billowing outwards, filling the night air as it escapes through the sections destroyed by the blast wave. The noise reverberates over the town as efficiently as a thunderclap and by now the police department's finest will be on their way, siren's blazing.

"Hey, meanies! It's not nice to destroy someone else's stuff! Didn't you go to preschool?" My sister yells.

I can feel my own sweat drenching my skin, the throbbing of my own eyes, the ringing screams of their victims vibrating in my ears, and the thumping of my heart against my chest. My fingers are curled into a fist, nails digging into my palm. I can't hear my rapid breathing, but I can feel the oxygen flooding in and out of my lungs. Fear tortures my guts, churning my stomach in tense cramps. Fear engulfs my conscience, knocking all other thoughts aside. It overwhelms my body, making it drastically exhausted. No matter how hard I try my feet remain stuck to the ground. I watch as the whole gang of vile men and women stalk towards us. I'm trembling.

"Well, well, well look at what we have here. I never thought I would have the pleasure of killing Beelzebub twice in this lifetime!" Joker says.

"I would have stayed in hell if the devil looked like her." A voice calls out.

Someone grasps onto my free arm, pulling me away from the situation unfolding. My sister whimpers and buries her head into my body once more, using my shoulder as protection. I stumble backwards, almost dropping my sister in the struggle to free myself.

"Hey, I got you. It's gonna be fine now." A soothing voice mutters.

As soon as we stop I turn around to see Nightwing grinning at me. I let my lips widen into a brilliant grin that reflects Nightwing's. I'm laughing now, feeling absolutely delirious. 

"I didn't get to thank you before, so, uh...thanks." I stumble over the words.

"Not a problem. I've been meaning to grab your number anyway." He replies.

"Wait...why?" I ask.

"I wanted to repay you for what you did at the convention if you don't mind." He laughs.

I can't stop myself from blushing at his words. I can't believe this is actually happening to me, someone like him asking someone like me for her number. I notice how he suppresses his smile as I attempt to hide the red using my free hand. We approach my apartment building, Nightwing remaining in the shadows while my sister and I walk on the path illuminated by the street lights.

"Aren't you busy with well, this stuff?" I ask, gesturing to his costume.

"Are you two together?" My sister interrupts.

"Not yet but it'd be pretty cool if we were." Nightwing chuckles.

"Alright, well it's probably about time to get this little gremlin into bed." I laugh nervously.

My sister runs into the guest room, leaving us alone. I grab a piece of spare paper and scribble my number on it before handing it to the vigilante. I watch him move, there is something of the warrior in him combined with a gentleness that makes my heart reach out. My skin tingles where he touches me and my heartbeat is erratic. There are butterflies - no, lions - in my chest, but it feels good. He moves towards the window, his lips tugging upwards creating a smirk on his god-like face.

"I'll see you tomorrow night." He says.

Happiness flows through me, warming my skin like the rays of an early summer sun. My sister tugged gently at my arm and leads the way to the bedroom, a book in he hand. I settle my sister into her bed and begin reading. I smile as I allow myself to savour my memories of tonight's events. His face flashes through my mind, he is a person I want to know more than I'd ever felt before. He is a guy I could love forever.