Flowers Part 4 (Jason Todd x Reader)

Hi all! This was requested by @I-am-Red-Widowand @Tall_and_Angry and uses no prompts supplied. I hope you enjoy! Sorry for the wait, I got busy. I hope this is ok! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N) Pov 

The thrift store used to be like a treasure trove to my mother. Her eyes would light up as she entered it, greeting the volunteers like old friends. After exchanging news with each of them her quest would begin. She would search every rack and shelf not only with herself in mind but our entire extended family. When she found just the gem for somebody she would let out an involuntary gasp of joy and add it to her basket. It was hard for me to be excited about all these hand-me-downs. I'd had them all my life from my older sisters.

Objects of delight and interest claiming my instant attention as Jason and I enter the store; there are quaint twisted candlesticks in the shape of snakes, a teapot fashioned like a china duck, out of whose open beak the tea was supposed to come. And there is a carved sandal-wood box packed tight with aromatic cotton-wool, between the layers of cotton-wool are little brass figures, hump-necked bulls and peacocks and goblins, delightful to see and handle. Jason grasps onto my wrist practically dragging me to where the sofas are located. 

My eyes land on an older looking sofa, I let out an involuntary gasp of joy and I understand my mother a little better. The sofa has certainly seen better days. The battered floral design is worn thin in places but not quite to the point of ripping. The soft green fabric around the cushions has the beginnings of fraying. I flop onto the couch and let my head loll back and eyes pull to a close. In only minutes the fabric was warm, homely.

"Are we buying this one?" Jason asks.

"Mmm-hmm" I mumble softly.

"You know that I have enough money to..." He begins.

"Nope. It's vintage, aesthetic and comfy. We're getting this one." I interrupt.

Jason sighs as he allows himself to collapse next to me. I brush a strand of raven hair away from his face. He eagerly wraps his arms around my waist, burying his face into the crook of my neck. I can feel the rise and fall of Jason's chest against my body.

"You're right about it being comfy, doll." Jason murmurs lazily.

We both begin to laugh, gaining confused looks from a staff member near us. I push myself up from the couch, leaving Jason clasping onto one of the worn cushions. 

"I'll go and pay. You haul ass to the car. I'll call Kori and get her to help us move the couch out to the car." I say.

"I can do it," Jason replies.

"No, you can't," I laugh.

I clasp onto his hands and attempt to pull him up without landing on my ass. It doesn't take long for me to give up and place my hands on my hips, pretending to be angry at Jason. He suddenly stands up, gently pushing me behind him as he's protecting me from something or someone. I try to step beside him but his arm holds me back. I'm able to catch sight of the familiar glint of a gun and heavy duty armour. Jason's hand wraps around the pistol which is hidden under the leather jacket he's wearing.

"Slade..." Jason growls.

I glance around the area behind me, looking for anything that resembles a weapon. My eyes land on a pipe that runs up the wall, winding through the various objects that lean against the wall it's on. In a flash I dive over the couch we were previously on and make my way to the pipe. I resist the urge to cover my ears as the sound of gunfire echoes throughout the shop. I can hardly hear the sound of the pipe breaking as my foot smashes through it. I quickly pick up the broken metal pipe and run back to Jay.